Grand Cayman Trip Report (Cobalt/Divetech)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just back from a short-ish trip to Grand Cayman. We arrived around 3pm on Saturday and were in the water for a weight check by 5pm. We stayed with Cobalt Coast and did 4 days of diving with Divetech. In trying to keep the costs down, I did a few things differently than I have in the past - no car rental and CC meal plan. I figured these choices would allow the focus to be squarely on diving, which worked out well.

Our shuttle driver was waiting for us as soon as we cleared GC customs and the ride to Cobalt Coast from the airport took maybe 15 or 20 minutes. The CC staff welcomed us and did a quick tour. As soon as we dropped our bags in the room, we went down and got setup with Divetech. As I was filling out forms, I had a hint of deja vu. It turns out that 2 of the staff members used to work at Dive BVI, and had actually been my DMs on my first real ocean dives 3 years (and 90 dives) ago. I took that as a good sign right off the bat. I asked if we could do a quick shore dive to check weights before the AM boat trip - my buddy had not been diving nearly as much as I have lately. Divetech was very accommodating and allowed us to take tanks and weights at 4:45, even though they closed at 5.

Our room at Cobalt Coast was very spacious and clean. The food on the meal plan was good, though a little repetitive after 5 days. Judging from what I could see, my theory of saving money on the meal plan was valid - transport & cost of other restaurants or grocery shopping would have cost more in the end. My only real complaint about the room was that the wifi signal was too weak to be usable - but all we had to do was sit outside and it was fine. And in fairness, I didn't bring this up with CC staff, since it really was very minor. The CC staff were responsive and helpful whenever I asked for anything. The staff kitten was adorable and the bar made a good Mai Tai!

Overall, the diving was excellent. I really can't say enough good things about Divetech. My buddy was having trouble equalizing and they went out of their way to help her. They actually drove to a store and brought back some sudafed (and didn't charge us double for the trouble). They allowed me to descend on the mooring line with her very, very slowly - which helped her clear more easily. Each DM was understanding and helpful. Divetech also was the right amount of hands-on/hands-off for me. 2 DMs were in the water on every dive and the briefings were very good, but no one was in the way or trying to micromanage anything. We ranged from 10-16 people on the boat and everyone dived a computer (they were provided if people didn't have them). We were allowed to dive to 60mins/5min ndl/500psi - whatever came first. I ordered 100s of nitrox for the mornings and they were always on the boat waiting for me.

The diving itself was a lot of fun. The first AM dive was a deep-ish wall and the second was a shallow reef. I had really hoped to see an Eagle Ray - one of the remaining items on my personal creature list. Well, we saw an average of 10 Eagle Rays on each wall dive, so that was awesome. I also saw my first Bearded Fireworms, Flamingo Tongues (dozens), and Masked Hamlet! We chose to do one optional guided PM dive - Stingray City. I'm kind of on the fence about the ethics of feeding dives - I can see both points of view. But it was a lot of fun to get to touch the rays and to see Psycho, the resident Green Moray. In addition to the boat dives, we did several dives on the Cobalt House reef, which was quite enjoyable. It was great to be able to take things slow and feel like we had the whole reef to ourselves. Tanks were always available, it was an easy swim straight out, and in retrospect I should have done even more shore dives. Eagle Ray Video

Overall, the whole experience was great. A September trip to that area is a roll of the dice - I was checking the NHC hourly at one point. But the weather cooperated, and the water was clear and warm (~85/no wetsuit for me the whole time). The accommodations were comfortable and Divetech went above and beyond. I would definitely return to CC/DT. It does cost more than some other places I've been but for the circumstances of this trip it was worth it.

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.

+1 for Cobalt Coast and DiveTech from me.

We opted for the 'One-bedroom oceanfront suite' which was on the upper floor. The room faced the ocean. There were several small areas with tables and chairs outside the upper floor rooms. These were sort of like balconies, but in a shared space, overlooking the patio, pool, small beach area, and ocean. I'm not sure about the back of the room - I spent all my time staring at the ocean :D

That video was from Lemon Wall. We did Princess Penny’s Pinnacle for the first morning dive and then Lemon Wall for the second. The eagle ray's were everywhere on that site. I also shot this video: 2 Eagle Rays Swimming - YouTube but it's very short.

Thanks. I shared your videos with my wife, who is still trying to find time to post some of her Cayman videos from this summer on YouTube. We've been diving Cayman for nearly 20 years and have been diving with Divetech since 2001. This summer we were there for around 3 weeks and the Eagle Rays were out in force -- more than I've ever seen in Grand Cayman. Our best dive was at Eagle Ray pass, where we sat out on the point at 60 feet and experienced forty-plus eagle ray passings (some probably the same ones cruising back and forth), with the largest group having around 14. Itching to get back!

3 weeks! - That sounds like heaven. This was my first trip to Grand Cayman, though I had been to Little Cayman once before. I really enjoyed it. I had never seen an Eagle Ray and was really hoping I might at least catch a glimpse of one. Well, we saw them on every deep dive. I never saw 14 at once, but I did count 7 in a group at one point. They're so graceful - I could hover and watch them for the whole dive. I'd love to go back as well. Let me know when your videos are up. I was wishing the whole time I had a better camera setup, but at least it's enough to remember the experience by.

Finally got my photo gallery up from this trip. Here it is:

https://jshare.johnshopkins.edu/mcole2/public_html/trips/2011.gcm/album/

I only have an old canon point & shoot and no strobe, so I had to do a lot of photoshop work, especially on the far away eagle ray shots and the stingray city stuff, which had lots of debris. Enjoy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom