Trip Report Grand Cayman Trip Report (August, 2018)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1000RR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just returned from our trip to Grand Cayman staying at Morritts and diving with Ocean Frontiers (they were fantastic!). Can't say enough great things about OF.

Six of us went, just me and my youngest daughter (14) dive. Got certified a year ago and had 20 dives under our belt going down there. She did great and absolutely LOVED it (as did Dad). Both of our RMVs were in the 0.35-0.39 range so we made for good buddies together and had great bottom time. Even on the wall dives, we had ~55-60 minute dives.

Below are some highlight videos and pics. Everything was taken with our new Paralenz camera. Love the camera and it fits exactly what I was looking for - simple!

This was our first time finding a shark (non-nurse shark) on a dive and it was absolutely AWESOME! Got a long video of it but below are some stills I grabbed from it along with a short clip. Her name is Scarlet and she's a ~6' reef shark. She hung out with us on two separate days. Her and my daughter became buds I think. The school of Tarpon video was on our shore dive at Turtle Reef as was the school of blue/purple fish; that was a great shore dive! Our favorite dive was Day 1 with dive 1 at Jack McKenny's Canyons and our shallower dive at Grouper Grotto. Both had awesome swim throughs and canyons. We loved that. The canyons leading out to the wall were fantastic!

The videos below include my daughter doing a swim through with a bit of surge going on, a cool fish school video, tarpon video, school of blue fish, and me playing around sneaking up on Kaylee with the Paralenz on a selfie stick. The still shot of me and my daughter was on our shore dive... took the selfie stick w/Paralenz and stuck it in a brick that was on the sea floor... Then swam around to get our pic (video) taken.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on my previous post. Oh and we also did Stingray City with Brad from CU Divers. He was great and it was just the six of us on his boat. My girls LOVED it.

One more video of a small school of fish with gnarly teeth: Cool Fish Video

20180806_130604.jpg
20180806_130657.jpg
20180806_130834.jpg
DHHD02.jpg
JOIM01.jpg
OLKL01.jpg
KXAT01.jpg
CPJD01.jpg
PDSX01.jpg
20180809_201237.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you guys had a good time. I'm not familiar with Morritts - what did you think of staying there?

Richard.

Glad you guys had a good time. I'm not familiar with Morritts - what did you think of staying there?

Richard.
Hey Richard, we really enjoyed our stay at Morritts. The pools are beautiful; food drinks and views were great. Much quieter on that side of the island. Our non divers had enough to do and we took a couple day trips to the West side. One night we went next door to the Wyndhams tiki bar and that was very nice too. Only 5 minutes to get to Ocean Frontiers but Redsail/Tortuga is onsite at Morritts.

Donny

@1000RR

Hi Donny,

Glad you liked the East End of Grand Cayman. Ocean Frontiers is an exceptional operation. I would imagine you would enjoy staying at Compass Point, especially if just divers.

Sounds like you and your daughter are doing quite well. Perhaps it's time to join me in Boynton Beach for a dive on the Castor for Goliath Grouper aggregation. I'm signed up with Underwater Explorers the weekend of Sept 8-9 as well as the next week.

Very best and good diving, Craig

@scubadada

Hey Craig! Absolutely would love that. I think I may have mentioned my daughter playing travel fastpitch softball on a club team. We're on the road that weekend for a tournament. But please don't get discouraged and not keep the invites coming. I promise we will definitely get together.

We have definitely found we enjoy the big fish and large schools. We got to see some of the Goliaths last Sept/Oct and it was awesome! Are you around the weekend before or after? If you know more weekend dates, PM them and let's continue to try and coordinate - I'd like that!

Take care,
Donny

@scubadada

Hey Craig! Absolutely would love that. I think I may have mentioned my daughter playing travel fastpitch softball on a club team. We're on the road that weekend for a tournament. But please don't get discouraged and not keep the invites coming. I promise we will definitely get together.

We have definitely found we enjoy the big fish and large schools. We got to see some of the Goliaths last Sept/Oct and it was awesome! Are you around the weekend before or after? If you know more weekend dates, PM them and let's continue to try and coordinate - I'd like that!

Take care,
Donny
Just got down yesterday for 2 weeks in Bonaire. Will only be in Florida for that one week in September. I will be back down in October, will send you dates.

Nice videos and pics. Impressive that no sand was kicked up on the swim through!!

Have stayed at both Morritt's and Compass Point (Ocean Frontiers.) Compass Point sure is convenient for diving and definitely recommend it if you can swing it.. Morritt's is available from our timeshare though. All good. Glad you had a good time!

@jonhall Yes, she did great and exhibited good patience and buoyancy with the slight surge. She and I both enjoyed the many swim throughs, canyons, and ledges.

We did the same - timeshare (exchange) at Morritts. Doubtful I'll get the chance to stay at Compass Point as everyone doesn't dive... but next trip there I'd for sure dive with OF again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom