Grand Cayman/Seven Mile Beach hotel and shop recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USCSS Nostromo

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi all,

I may be headed to Grand Cayman/Seven Mile Beach next month. Considering the Marriott, which has a Red Sail Sports associated with it as the dive operation. Does anyone have any feedback on either or both of these? Any good alternatives for a resort-style place on Seven Mile Beach and/or a good dive operation? If it makes any difference, I'm hoping for some wall diving. Thanks for any advice!

Lots of posts here about Red Sail and other SMB dive ops, if you do a search.

I dive with Red Sail regularly. They run large boats rather then 6 packs, but I find that it just gives me more room. They break up into smaller groups usually by skill level (or if you are using nitrox) with a guide/DM. With most ops, the first dive is a deep wall dive and the second a shallow reef/top of wall dive, and you will get the same 100' 50 minute/60' 60 minute dives with most of those ops. That said, I usually get more time than that with no problem. In general, all the west side dive ops are great and will pick you up if needed.

As to places to stay, not sure what you are looking for in terms of a "resort" but if you want a less crowded beach and pool, look into renting a condo.

If you are traveling with someone who doesn't dive there is something to be said for the SMB resort approach - you can be close to lots of restaurants and shopping, and of course there's the famous beach (which IMO is not all it's cracked up to be especially near the big resort hotels - narrow and crowded with rows of beach chairs, but depends what you like.) As said, condos can be a good option too, but may or may not qualify as the resort experience you're looking for (depending on what that is, exactly.)

SMB is the best known area but there are other parts of the island to stay if you prefer more quiet and less built up areas. Staying on the East End at Morritts or Wyndham Reef (which are next door to each other) gets you nice resorts with beaches, and good (many will say better) diving available. Less restaurants, but enough. You'll want/need a car. I've stayed at both and prefer the Reef. Next to Morritts is Morritts Grand, which I think is nicer than the regular Morritts, but I haven't stayed at that one.

If it's mainly about the diving there are a few good dedicated dive resorts on the island which you may want to consider. Sunset House just south of town, Cobalt Coast (AI) to the northwest, Compass Point on the East End. Ocean Frontiers is the (great and very popular - check for availability) dive op at Compass Point, but just a few minutes drive from Reef or Morritts. There is also a Red Sail op (Tortuga Divers) at Morritts.

The beach at the Marriott is very narrow, the Westin has a nicer beach and the hotel was recently completely renovated and Red Sail in the onsite dive op there, too. Sunshine Suites is part of the Westin complex but it across the street from the beach, but you get full access to the beach and the Westin amenities and you will have a kitchen.

What are your plans for vacation? Is this primarily a diving vacation or a beach/relaxation vacation with some diving? Are you traveling alone, with other divers, or with non-divers?

What is your budget? There are lots of restaurant choices but Cayman is expensive, so renting a condo on the beach is another option so you can prepare some simple meals and also go out to restaurants. Are you willing to rent a car and drive on the left or do you want to be in the central 7MB area so that you can walk or cab to nearby places?

The Marriott had a big makeover a couple of years and the beach comes and goes. RSS operates out of the Marriott, The Westin, The RC, Margaritaville and The Kimpton. There are many options but not everyone wants a dive resort, a condo or a hotel. Just depends on you and who you are traveling with. There are many places to eat (not necessarily the hotels but a meal at Sunshine Suites will fill you up for a day). People in the service industry here make $5 or $6 an hour and often eat out and still pay the rent. Everything is relative. We dove with RSS for years and still have great respect for them. I think whatever you choose you will have a great time!!!

So many options, here.

If diving is the priority, and the beach isn't, then you are going to be paying a premium for hotels and resorts right on the beach, and could get a better deal at places just off the beach. West Bay has a couple of resorts and condo complexes that are within easy reach of the beach with a car. The added cost of the car is more than offset by the savings on accommodation. There are lots of dive ops going out of West Bay Dock that give you plenty of choice whether you want a larger or smaller dive op. You are also a couple of miles away from SMB, so you can pack up some beach chairs (usually available in the condos) and head down there for some relaxing. All the great restaurant options are still within a 20 minute drive at most.

If being beachfront is a priority then I agree that staying directly on SMB is the best option for you, and many dive ops will pick up from the hotels and condo complexes along the whole length - some will even pick you up on the boat from the beach. Again, plenty of ops to choose from - Red Sail that you mentioned is one of the bigger one and there are plenty of smaller ones.

I agree with others - you are going to be doing wall dives as the first dive, and then a shallower top of the reef dive as the second. You can also supplement it with some great shore dives on the West side - Sunset House, Eden Rock are down by George Town at the south end of Seven Mile Beach, and Lighthouse Point, Macabuca, Coconut Bay and Cobalt Coast all offer mini wall diving as a shore dives.

I am less familiar with the East Side, so I will leave that to those who are.

On the EE you have Ocean Frontiers and Tortuga Divers. Nowadays (for the past few years) they pretty much offer the same product to divers going to the sites etc. RSS owns Tortuga so they might have a package that includes dives on both East and West sides. The East Side is in inundated with seaweed again. News last night from an EE boat captain is that it is not affecting divers directly but is affecting all beach activities. Might be something to be aware of if you have non divers in the group:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom