Question Possible Cayman trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Billg68bg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The wife(nondiver) and I are knocking around some vacation ideas for next year. Grand Cayman came up in conversation.
Is there much by way of land based entertainment/activities? Don’t know how the sargassum is there, so was thinking west coast. May be a bit vague, but, any suggestions on decent resorts along seven mile beach?

We’ve been going to GC quite frequently, wife is also a non diver. East side is very quiet as is the north. The west side is by far the busiest with traffic, accommodations, dining, activities and dive ops. Not much sargassum and if there is some after a storm they are quick to clean it. Lots of activities: museum, turtle farm, window shopping in George Town and Camana bay, walking 7mb, mangrove tours, stingray city/snorkel tours, snorkeling on your own, sunset cruises, paddleboard and kayak rentals. The nice thing about GC and the west side is pretty much all ops pick you up and drop back around noon, sometimes 11:30. By the time my wife sleeps in, strolls Camana bay for a latte and read a book or walk 7mb I am back… quick lunch then off to other activities. We try to stay south as we like walking to Camana bay and George Town. Beach is much better north though as there has been steady beach loss over the last several years in the south, starting around the Coral beach club.
I usually go in the fall-prices range from $300/n for a 2bdr condo to thousands a night for Ritz-Carlton.

There are hundreds of threads on this site that address your questions re entertainment, activities and resorts. OP should look through them. Re sargassum, there was an article in today's Cayman Compass about the 7MB area being covered right now. Depending on local conditions, not usually a problem in that area.

From your profile you are from NY. Easy inexpensive flights from NYC. If you haven't been it is definitely worth a trip. I started diving GCM in the early 80s. While much has changed over the years it is still a great dive destination and worth a try. Take a look at at GCM dive site map and you will see why. Deep steep drop off walls a short boat ride away. GCM is expensive but worth a trip.

Yeah. We primarily do JetBlue or Delta out of JFK. Best prices and JFK Longterm makes it really convenient. Probably next on the list. Wife and I are knocking around that and Allegro Cozumel.

The wife and I are here now and fly home tomorrow. Let me put out a BIG warning to anyone considering diving here. No one seems to talk about this, but there is a huge danger here. I've been smiling so much this week, my face literally hurts. Everyone on my dive boat is suffering from the same thing and I don't know why they don't warn against this. I mean, ow.

So, give this some serious thought. Chronic and continual face pain is nothing to laugh off. Let my pain be a cautionary warning for everyone. Smiling all week. Smiling with a regulator in the mouth--ouch. I'm alerting DAN as soon as I get home.

The wife and I are here now and fly home tomorrow. Let me put out a BIG warning to anyone considering diving here. No one seems to talk about this, but there is a huge danger here. I've been smiling so much this week, my face literally hurts. Everyone on my dive boat is suffering from the same thing and I don't know why they don't warn against this. I mean, ow.

So, give this some serious thought. Chronic and continual face pain is nothing to laugh off. Let my pain be a cautionary warning for everyone. Smiling all week. Smiling with a regulator in the mouth--ouch. I'm alerting DAN as soon as I get home.
I’m booked for October. Cancelling now.

Grand Cayman is a great place for divers and non-divers alike! We're a dive shop in West Bay on the island and its quite common for our guests to have non-diving people in their groups. If you are looking for the main tourist stretch, with plenty of shops and restaurants and white sand beaches, Seven Mile Beach is the place to go. East End is much more quiet and spread out if that is more your vibe, and so picturesque.

There's lots of watersports options on the island, from snorkel tours to jet skis to stand-up paddleboard rentals. A kayak or snorkel tour to Bioluminescent Bay is a great option as well. Many of these were previously mentioned, but there's also horseback riding, Turtle Centre, shopping in Georgetown and Camana Bay, brewery and distillery tours and more. And there's always the option to lounge on a beach or by the pool!

Grand Cayman is known for having some of the best food in the Caribbean, with a huge variety of options from food trucks to fine dining. There are culinary tours available too!

Most dive operators on the island run a 2-tank morning trip that's back by lunch, and then 1- or 2- tank afternoon trips back by happy hour which makes it easier to coordinate plans with your spouse as well.

Back
Top Bottom