Question Grand Cayman recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking for recommendations of places to stay and dive in Grand Cayman. Preferably a hotel/resort with a dive shop and boat in-house. Shore diving would be awesome as well. Does not need to be all-inclusive, as we like to venture out and eat/visit other places when we travel.

Google browsing has me leaning toward Cobalt Coast & Divetech.

My first thought was Cayman Brac Beach Resort or Little Cayman Beach Resort. Yeah I know they are not Grand Cayman but GC is so overbuilt that we call the beach Seven Mile Strip Mall.

If you are committed to West Side, I would Add Living The Dream. They run a great dive op and have beautiful new condos near NW Point. Their dive op not on site, but very good shore diving nearby.

At East End, Ocean Frontiers Has nice condos on site and does packages. Great dive op as well, and the diving IMO is better at East End then West and North. No easy shore diving nearby.

Sunset House has an on site dive shop, accommodation, restaurant, bar, and house reef. Both hotel and house reef are a bit tired.

Don't know anything about Cobalt since they re opened.

I personally prefer Cayman Brac and Little Cayman to anything on Grand.

If you are looking for a dive holiday as opposed to a vacation with some diving, I would seriously look at Brac and Little Cayman.

+1 for @Doctorfish and Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers.

Cobalt Coast is not what it used to be. Accommodations, diving, limited service restaurant are all independent, and separate. Not very close to other restaurants/shopping. It used to be a good package deal, no longer.

If you'd like a smaller boat and smaller dive groups, consider Just Dive Cayman. Their level of service (and fun) never disappoints.

GC is just a glorified cruise ship port at this point. LC or CB are the way to go.

GC is just a glorified cruise ship port at this point. LC or CB are the way to go.
Sorry but I respectfully disagree. GC is far more developed than the sister islands, but for some that is an attraction, given that you can find what you want food-wise, shopping, etc. I understand that is not what some are looking for but I don't think it justifies your blanket statement.

If you are impacted by the cruise port or the cruisers then there are plenty of other parts of the island that are free of them. Divers in general, do not tend to go to the same places that cruisers go.

There is also a lot of great diving on the island, too. Certainly worth a visit in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom