Grand Cayman Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are going to Grand Cayman later this year; we are going to spend a week on the Aggressor and the second week on GC. We are looking for a suite or apartment on GC for the second week. We are considering Sunshine Suites off the 7-mile beach or The Reef on the East End. Does anyone have experience with either of these resorts or can you recommend another location? Thanks!

We stayed at Turtle Nest Inn in Bodden Town. It was about 20 minutes to drive to Ocean Frontiers (great dive op!), which takes you to the East End which is dove less frequently and in better shape. We really liked Turtle Nest Inn - the owners are very personable and we found the apartment beautiful. The last hurricane ripped it apart pretty good so everything is pretty new.

Cayman Hotels: Turtle Nest Inn, Grand Cayman - Exotic & Affordable Beachfront Alternative.

Otherwise, East End Divers has condos as well which were built about 2 years ago.

Ocean Frontiers - Grand Cayman Islands, Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Vacation Packages

Enjoy beautiful Cayman!

I own a condo next to turtle nest inn..........We named the complex Turtle nest Condos ( 10 units).........They are managed and run by Alain and Marleine the owners of turtle Nest Inn same high standards .Each condo is a duplex with 2 1/2 baths and two bedrooms ,phase two was just recently completed so they are brand new mine has granite coun tertops all stainless appliances etc.......If you would like more info just ask I can send you pics and rates etc.

I am leaving on Saturday for a week there .We have been so busy with rentals it is hard for me to get down there....which is a good thing.

John

It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want nightlife and action, then you'll want to stay closer to SMB. If you're looking for quiet beaches and unspoiled dive sites, then you want the East End. If you're looking for a hotel room type of place, then there are less expensive places than The Reef, but if you want a nice relaxing resort and a condo/villa style unit with the option/ability to fix your own meals when you want, then The Reef is the place to stay on East End. We bought a unit there when they first started building (1999) and have been going back for at least a week every year since. In fact we leave again in four weeks.

Daz

I think it depends on what you are looking for. I am partial to Compass Point, but I also finally purchased a place there last year after several years of diving with them (Ocean Frontiers). I love the East End which is very relaxing to me. If you want restaurants and clubs, then East End is not for you.

I've never stayed at the Reef (or even been there), but hear good things about it as well. I don't know about any of the other places.

Have fun. I don't think you'll make a bad choice no matter where you end up. GC is great.

Chris

Thanks for all the responses they were very helpful! We will leave for our Cayman trip in a few weeks, spending the first week on the Cayman Aggressor and the second at the Turtle Nest Inn. Any other suggestions or advice? How are the islands and the diving after Gustav? We've done livaboards before including a couple of aggressors but not the Cayman Aggressor. We haven't been to Grand Cayman in many years and we only did land-based diving and shore dives when we were there. We've never dived the smaller islands - is there a chance to go ashore on Little Cayman and/or Cayman Brac when you dive the aggressor?

I just got from GC last week.Dove with Ambassador divers .I usually use Peter Milburn but he was off island.The diving on the North wall was good when the weather allowed us to get there.Did some west side diving also and some shore dives at Eden rock,Sunset house, and the Turtle farm.I found Eden rock to be more "worn out" than usual probably too much stress on it.

As you know I own at the Turtle nest Condos which unit are you staying at?
Say hi to Alain and Marleine from John and Jean .

If you have any questions that I can help with don't hesitate to contact me either here or PM's .

Have a good trip.
John

We are going to Grand Cayman later this year; we are going to spend a week on the Aggressor and the second week on GC. We are looking for a suite or apartment on GC for the second week. We are considering Sunshine Suites off the 7-mile beach or The Reef on the East End. Does anyone have experience with either of these resorts or can you recommend another location? Thanks!

I don't have advice on either of them...I haven't stayed there. I have been on both the east and west end. I prefer the east. Its more relaxing and I've been told the diving is better on that side. I own a week Morritts Tortuga club on the east side and could get you a great deal on a week there...check out the resort:
Morritt´s Grand Cayman Resorts | Morritt´s Tortuga Club | Morritt´s Grand

email me or pm me if you are interested in staying there. We absolutely love that place!

Trevor (trevorr77 at msn.com)

Loved the nice quiet East End. Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers were very good. Compass Pt is small, the Reef looked pretty big. It was right across the street from the supermarket, however. If you want night life, you probably want 7 mile beach. Superb diving, no other boats anywhere around us on the east end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom