Grand Cayman Kittiwake and reef dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going on a cruise this year with a stop in Grand Cayman. I've signed up for the Kitty Wake wreck dive and reef dive. Has anyone dived it? Worth the shore excursion price? It's my first cruise so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I dove the Kittywake in its first year... Definitely not enough life had taken hold. A couple years later, it was much better... And that was back in 2014. So I'm guessing it is better still. I'm not much of a wreck diver, but if you are, you should do it. It's a nice dive and one of the signature dives for GC.

... Unfortunately the group I was with only dove from shore in the area of Devil's Grotto and Eden Rock. These areas get hammered by tons of cruise ship divers and are pretty devoid of fish and mostly dead rock. Lot's of posts on SB about those being the worst places to dive GC and that there are really spectacular sites elsewhere.

As far as Devil's Grotto/Eden Rock, you need to go when the Silversides are in. Otherwise, not much to see. The following video was made on the dive I was on. I sat in the swim throughs while swirling silversides swam all around me as Tarpon swam in and out feeding on them. Go to the 4:19 minute mark if you don't want to watch the beginning...

This is one of my most memorable dives ever. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
I dove the Kittiwake when it was fairly new & I liked it. :)
Me too! Watched them sink it, then dove it one year later for the had to effect! :)

I think there are many far better dives to do on Grand Cayman than the Kittiwake. I've ended up there maybe 4-5 times because of requests from others on the boat. Last dive there was in December and as I recall, there was a small school of jacks and a few stingrays on the sand flats. IMO, OK for a second dive but does not compare to the awesomeness of a wall dive.

If you can get out to the north wall or even the west wall, IMO, far more impressive.

I think there are many far better dives to do on Grand Cayman than the Kittiwake. I've ended up there maybe 4-5 times because of requests from others on the boat. Last dive there was in December and as I recall, there was a small school of jacks and a few stingrays on the sand flats. IMO, OK for a second dive but does not compare to the awesomeness of a wall dive.

If you can get out to the north wall or even the west wall, IMO, far more impressive.
You guys miss the point. Of course there are better dives on Grand Cayman, but the Kitiwake is still a nice entry level penetration dive - and a very cool night dive. It's also a different dive than a reef or wall dive - nice to mix things up over a week's diving!

I didn't miss your point. I just personally wouldn't waste a tank on the site if I had other options out on the wall.
The real attraction on GC is the wall diving.
The OP said he/she was on a cruise and only had one day on Cayman.

I didn't miss your point. I just personally wouldn't waste a tank on the site if I had other options out on the wall.
The real attraction on GC is the wall diving.
The OP said he/she was on a cruise and only had one day on Cayman.
OK - understood if you only have 1 day in GC. That's why I have ZERO interest in going on a cruise: you can't get the best diving in with such limited time in port and you get no sense of the atmosphere/culture of the islands you visit.

It is almost a crime that the dredging to build the damn new cruise pier to support these ships in Grand Cayman will wreak havoc on a lot of the reefs on that side of the island. But big money wins, as always...

Last edited:
As far as Devil's Grotto/Eden Rock, you need to go when the Silversides are in. Otherwise, not much to see.

Unfortunately, the group went in late September and no silversides.

I was recently on a cruise that stopped in Grand Cayman and had two excellent dives with Off The Wall Divers. They are usually willing to accommodate cruise ship schedules, and I recommend them.

OK - understood if you only have 1 day in GC. That's why I have ZERO interest in going on a cruise: you can't get the best diving in with such limited time in port and you get no sense of the atmosphere/culture of the islands you visit.

No one goes on a cruise because the diving is great.

Carefully chosen, a cruise can give you more vacation for your dollar, and it's a good way to spend time with family members with divergent interests. No one has to be in charge of planning every little detail, and your family group can split up and pursue separate interests some of the time much more easily than with shore-based trips. I was just on a cruise with three non-diving family members. We were all able to pursue our interests during the day and enjoy our evenings together.

It is almost a crime that the dredging to build the damn new cruise pier to support these ships in Grand Cayman will wreak havoc on a lot of the reefs on that side of the island. But big money wins, as always...

This project has been delayed indefinitely and is unlikely to move forward in the foreseeable future, according to local sources.

I just came off the Carnival Splendor this past February. My wife and I did this dive excursion. This was a great experience. We went with Diver Down scuba shop and Cayman Diving. Both share the same building and its a short walk from the peer to their shop ( they guide you there from the port ). We did Barracuda reef and then the Kittiwake dive. Afterwards my wife and I enjoyed sitting reminiscing about our dive at Rackham's (sp?)pub on the peer. Overall Its a nice experience. If your interested there is a similar thread in the Cruise forum on SB relating to Cayman diving.

Back
Top Bottom