Grand Cayman Holiday Inn is now the Grand Caymanian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Menno reports that occasionally they have run a boat out of the property when they have a large group of divers staying there but primarily their boats leave from other locations (Lighthouse, West Bay Dock or Morgan's Harbor). Thanks. Menno.

Something has changed, if not at the hotel then at least at Dive Tech. The Dive Tech webpage used to be about the "Holiday Inn" and now is it about the "Grand Caymanian" and the copy begins with "The Grand Caymanian, formerly known as the Holiday Inn..."

My guess is that the recent changes (remodeling, new onsite dive op) have caused them to resurrect the old name and use it to showcase the newly improved resort. But who knows, it could be something much more mundane than that.

I have never seen the Holiday Inn/Grand Caymanian I hope that we will get a chance to visit when we get back to GC; I'd like to check it out.

Hi all,

I seem to have completely missed this thread! I check the ‘Cayman Islands’ subforum daily, but missed this thread completely as it was in the ‘Greater Antilles’ section which I look at less regularly.

Anyways, it seems you guys are all smart cookies as you seem to have figured a lot out by yourselves!

It appears to be a timeshare place now, at least in part. My guess is Grand Caymanian sells better than Holiday Inn.
Grand Caymanian Vacations

more...
I was thinking the "Grand Caymanian" name has been around for a long time, and if I look for older reviews there are plenty of references to it, going back at least 10 years, and there were timeshares way back when. Sometimes the Grand Caymanian name is used, sometimes the hotel franchise du jour, sometimes both as in "Holiday Inn Grand Caymanian." So, maybe just renovating, rebranding, trying to sell units.

I have been on the island for only 2 years, so do not know all the (historical) details in perfect detail, but I hope enough to help out on your questions.

The ‘Grand Caymanian’ resort has been in existence for a few years now. In the time I’ve been here, the resort has been marketed/sold in two ways. The northern wing is a Holiday Inn franchise, and the south wing the ‘Grand Caymanian’. The 'Grand Caymanian’ are time share units rented our by the resort if not used. In terms of rooms, furnishings and amenities there is very little to no difference between the rooms and the two wings.
As far as I am aware this model is not expected to be changed in the (near) future, so the double name of Holiday Inn and ‘Grand Caymanian’ will stay in use

We as Divetech have mainly been working with the Holiday Inn franchise sofar. Recently some changes have happened. The whole resort has come under new ownership recently, and they are very ambitious in developing it. There are big plans for new gardens, new lobby and common areas, the restaurant. One of the first steps scheduled is a renovation of the rooms in the ‘Grand Caymanian’ wing in the next months.
Second to that, the Holiday Inn franchise has introduced some changes which makes quoting and booking rooms somewhat more complex for both us and the customer.
Primarily based on this we’ve decided to focus on partnering with the ‘Grand Caymanian’ for 2019 as we feel that will offer the best guest experience for next year. We have therefore updated our website and other materials to reflect this.

They don’t dive from there. The water by the dock is too shallow for boats. It doesn’t really look that nice for swimming or snorkeling either.

There is a dock at the ‘Grand Caymanian', and you can certainly swim there. It would however not be the best for snorkeling, as the Sound is quite shallow, just a sandy bottom and as there is less water movement the viz is not the greatest.

Menno reports that occasionally they have run a boat out of the property when they have a large group of divers staying there but primarily their boats leave from other locations (Lighthouse, West Bay Dock or Morgan's Harbor). Thanks. Menno.

@tkaelin thanks for reaching out by mail and forwarding that information here. As you say, when we have a big group booking in which basically fills a boat, we do run a boat from the Grand Caymanian dock. For our regular dive boats, with guests coming from various accommodations on the island, in our experience our main Lighthouse Point shop is the most convenient 'staging area’. It is easier to reach from the various accommodations, and closer to the docks at West Bay Dock and Morgan’s. Also upon returning from our boat dives, the divers are right back at Lighthouse Point where they can then do the complimentary shore diving included in our dive packages.

There is a huge complex being built right next door.
I think it is condos but Menno probably knows all avail about that too. I will wait to hear his input

Correct, this is a new condo complex including some waterways connection to the sound. Just a week or so ago a sign went up, I think it is called ’Nautica’ but I can’t find any further information on it. I’ll walk by it later today.

The restaurant may have changed up as well. It was totally awful but Mike D of Sunshine Suites was put in place to try to improve it when new investors got involved. Mike has a new place now so I am not sure if he left there or has both. Menno might have the accurate news as that’s where I get to see him.

Mike indeed came from the popular Sunshine Grill about two years ago, with a bunch of his staff. He really transformed the on-site restaurant, and they are putting out great meals. Our guest staying there are always raving about the food.
He has now opened Seven Mile Burger – Great food, great beach. on Governor’s Square mall. I haven’t had a chance to visit yet, but going to assume it’s going to be good. A large part of his crew is still at the Blue Iguana Grill at the Grand Caymanian, and he really trained all the staff there, so the quality of the food will remain awesome. I detected no change since he left about 3-4 months ago.

We have a big family of divers that have a couple of units and have been coming down for years. They come for diving and are not looking for beach or water at the accommodation so it works great for them. ... I have heard that the units at Grand Caymanian are very spacious from our guests.

That is very much the feedback we get, and what I’d recommend the accommodation for. I’ve seen a few hotel rooms on-island in my professional capacity, and I must say the units are very spacious, certainly for the very attractive rates offered. If you’re not too fussed about being right on Seven Mile Beach (as you’re diving anyways!) and value space and attractive rates, it is one of the best choices on the island. It has all the amenities of a full resort (pool, restaurant, gym etc) but big rooms, and the suites have an almost full size kitchen so you can also prepare some of your own meals there if you’re not keen to go out. For any non-divers in your party, or for a day of non-diving, the free resort shuttle service to the beaches, malls and Georgetown is a great way to get around.

Hope this has answered some of the many questions in this thread. If you’d like to know anything more, just post a response here or shoot us a mail.

Menno

Thank you. I have been a few times not including the trips to your shops. They hosted The Jingle Bell Run a couple of years ago and we were there for prizes and awards as well as the race. The grounds are very spacious. I didn't know you could bring the boat in, I thought it was too shallow even at the end but now I know! We also went around to try out what Mike was adding to the menu -- it was wonderful -- he is one guy I don't mind being a taster for!!! Will have to try his new place:)

The sign for the new condo development next to the Grand Caymanian for those interested.

IMG_0932.JPG

Makes sense that it is Luxury Level next door to Crystal Harbour. Thanks for the post. Did they open my gates yet?:)

Just got an email about a promo at Grand Caymanian. Book a standard room by 31 October and get a free upgrade to a suite. Might be sweet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom