Grand Cayman Holiday Inn is now the Grand Caymanian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I went through the info quickly but did not see whether they would be running dive boats from the property. What do you know on this score?

Interesting. Stayed there last year, 1 bedroom suite, and it was great. Dove with Divetech.

Thanks. I went through the info quickly but did not see whether they would be running dive boats from the property. What do you know on this score?

I know that Dive Tech has an onsite shop at the HI, but I don't know if they run boats from the HI or not. My guess is that they would take divers to the dock by van to board the boat - to facilitate diving on the west side of the island - but I don't know.

Wonder what led to the name change from a well-known brand name to something unknown (albeit more 'local-sounding?' Did it change ownership, or did they just want to sound less like a chain establishment?

Judging by the overhead photo, there's some structure underwater right offshore of the resort; wonder what the snorkeling is like there? Lots of people ask about snorkeling, including for non-diving family members.

Richard.

Wonder what led to the name change from a well-known brand name to something unknown (albeit more 'local-sounding?' Did it change ownership, or did they just want to sound less like a chain establishment?

Judging by the overhead photo, there's some structure underwater right offshore of the resort; wonder what the snorkeling is like there? Lots of people ask about snorkeling, including for non-diving family members.

Richard.

Good point about the snorkeling, that's another good question. They do offer a "Kids Stay and Eat Free" (ages 19 and younger) and they have a game room for kids, so that would be nice for families.

The HI website still calls it the "Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman" but the Dive Tech web page lists the new name - so maybe they are currently in some kind of transition? Perhaps they are planning a "Grand Re-opening" soon, before the holiday season.
Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman

I do know that the old Holiday Inn had a gotten a poor reputation and I had heard that property was run down; so it could be that the name change is a marketing strategy to revitalize interest in the property.

Maybe @Divetech Cayman can answer some of these questions, and perhaps @Testudo knows something about the snorkeling?

It appears to be a timeshare place now, at least in part. My guess is Grand Caymanian sells better than Holiday Inn.
Grand Caymanian Vacations

more...
I was thinking the "Grand Caymanian" name has been around for a long time, and if I look for older reviews there are plenty of references to it, going back at least 10 years, and there were timeshares way back when. Sometimes the Grand Caymanian name is used, sometimes the hotel franchise du jour, sometimes both as in "Holiday Inn Grand Caymanian." So, maybe just renovating, rebranding, trying to sell units.

They don’t dive from there. The water by the dock is too shallow for boats. It doesn’t really look that nice for swimming or snorkeling either. There is a huge complex being built right next door. The restaurant may have changed up as well. It was totally awful but Mike D of Sunshine Suites was put in place to try to improve it when new investors got involved. Mike has a new place now so I am not sure if he left there or has both. Menno might have the accurate news as that’s where I get to see him We have always called the property The Grand Caymanian and have lots of friends that call it that. It is at least partially time share. We have a big family of divers that have a couple of units and have been coming down for years. They come for diving and are not looking for beach or water at the accommodation so it works great for them. The original Holiday Inn Grand Cayman was on SMB I believe where The RC is now. I have heard that the units at Grand Caymanian are very spacious from our guests.

There is a huge complex being built right next door.
What are they building next door? An extension of the Grand Caymanian, or something else?

Back
Top Bottom