Grand Cayman for unimpressed newbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great Cayman is a good choice. Off the wall divers. They will take great care of you and adapt diving to your needs.

Cur significantly easier than Bonaire?
Cur in general is easier than Bon but after you described you and your divers issues and experiences, shore diving, what there is of it, in GC will be easier. Turtle Reef and Lighthouse Pt have ladders and I believe Eden Rock/Grotto is the same.

I’d recommend Cayman University Divers, small groups (most divers I’ve had on board is 4 - Sept/Oct, a couple of trips 2). Brad Nelson (decades of dive experience) will curate the dives if you wish (one way comms). He’s very good and knowledgeable about marine life- he once brought along big a magnifying glass on a dive so one could get a really good look at the small critters.

I take most of my Cayman visitors (most of whom either have not dived in a long time or are not certified) for a discovery/refresher dive, and they all have been very impressed and greatly enjoyed the dives. Warm water, low to no current, and great visibility make for easy, fun diving. The west side dive sites (along 7 Mile Beach, where most people stay ) are a 5-10 minute boat ride from shore. Everyone will recommend the dive shop they usually go with, and in general they are all good. And Cayman has a lot going on for those who are looking for more than just diving during their vacation - good restaurants, good music, theater, snorkeling, shopping, caves, botanical garden...

My last dive was in Belize, and I have also been diving in GC.
I'm curious why Belize isn't an option. The diving is easy there. I can't say that I recommend the Blue Hole though, there are so many better locations if viewing fish and coral is what you are after.

Have your friends done a night dive yet?

Hi @Doc Harry

I have been to Grand Cayman 10 times since 1997. I stayed in the west or northwest for the first 8 trips and dived the west side and the north wall. For my last 2 visits, I stayed in the east at Compass Point and dived with Ocean Frontiers. If you don't need the hustle and bustle and all the people, the east end is quieter but has plenty to offer. The diving is very good and I'm not sure I've used a land-based operator better than Ocean Frontiers. They have the option of going north or south depending on conditions. The north wall is often not accessible in the winter.

I've not dived Grand Cayman since 2018, so can't comment on the effect of SCTLD.

Best of luck in choosing your trip.

Back
Top Bottom