Grand Cayman: DiveTech Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubachica:
I didn't put this in my original email, but I am also planning to dive two days on the East End w/ Ocean Frontiers to round out my first Cayman dive trip. I was torn btwn the North and East when planning my trip and ended up deciding on Cobalt Coast as it seemed to have the best of both worlds for a Cayman first-timer. We're going to be there 8 days so I figured we'd have the time to trek over to the East for afternoon dives.

I am sure you will be happy with them. They have a great operation, at good prices as well. One thing I did like is they do not try to rip you off by using Cayman dollars. All of there prices are US. Watch out for crabs crossing the road on your way to the East End, I must have seen a hundred of them crossing...pretty funny

nbdiver:
One thing I did like is they do not try to rip you off by using Cayman dollars. All of there prices are US.
Whether or not you are getting "ripped off" has absolutely nothing to do with the currency used to price goods and services. In the case of dive prices, you are better asking what you are getting for the price quoted.

Drew Sailbum:
Whether or not you are getting "ripped off" has absolutely nothing to do with the currency used to price goods and services. In the case of dive prices, you are better asking what you are getting for the price quoted.

I knew somebody would take that the wrong way?!? When I say ripped off, I am talking in terms of conversion rates. I took your advise Drew and took travelers checks and converted them into CI on the island. What I noticed is most restaurants will "Rip You Off" by charging you a premium of about 7% to pay in US dollars. That to me is a rip off any way you look at it. Essentially they are charging you to convert the money. The bank converted at the .82 conversion rate but most vendors/restaurants gave you a .75 conversion if you paid in US.

Had I not taken your advice, dinners would have costed me a lot more by paying in US dollars or CC over the week and a half. Also something that needed to be considered when paying $500 to dive for a week or so!

:crafty: Do a little reading and know where you want to go. Just did a week at 7 mile beach with Don Foster. Had purchase book GRAND CAYMAN DIVING GUIDE and was able to ask to be taken to specific dives sights. Know the area you are diving at. Don't ask for a dive on the other side of the island but if there is a good wreck or reef you have read or heard about then ask if they can take you there.

I have used Dive Tech twice and did not have any problems with them. Have not stayed at Cobalt Coast, but have heard good comments on average.

As far as nbdiver and damselfish comments go, I agree with both of them at different levels:

1. I am biased because I have used Ocean Frontiers since they started their operation (8 or 9 yrs ago) and think they are top notch, no matter where you compare.

2. Why would I like to dive anywhere else in GC other than the East End? Their reefs and life are in much better shape that anywhere else on the island.

3. Thank God OF is so accommodating and helpful to their customers, after all I am on holidays and appreciate a break for a change. Plus they are good, conscientious, and professional so I really don't have to worry too much about doing a thorough check of my gear everytime they switch it.

4. Yes their dives tend to be on the shorter side (compared to other dive destinations) and the first dive is always guided. Again, thank God for that as there are too many inexperienced and irresponsible divers coming to dive GC and they can definitely do with the extra care.

5. As far as the second dive goes, sometimes we do our own thing but mostly we loosely follow the guide. I have no pride and love the chance to see all the critters that are new there from the last time I visited.

6. They do not force you to go with the guide. If you can prove to them that you have the knowledge and experience, they will leave you to do your own thing providing you come to the boat within the stipulated time frame.

7. Every time I come to visit, they have opened another incredible new site....

As commented before, they are both excellent operations on two separate ends of the island and with different ways of doing business. You should have a grand time with both of them. Please pass the OF staff my regards when you get there.

I would recommend that you email OF with your experience and preferences before you get there. If you go to www.d-log.com they have 3D images of several of the favorite East End dives and that way you at least will know a bit about the site before you dive it. Also www.caymanislands.ky is a good source of general information on the Cayman Islands. Visit the museum if you have a chance, it is very small and interesting.

PM m and I will be more than glad to share the info on my log books with you.

Maria

nbdiver:
I took your advise Drew and took travelers checks and converted them into CI on the island.

The bank converted at the .82 conversion rate but most vendors/restaurants gave you a .75 conversion if you paid in US.
Yes, Travellers Cheques will get you a rate (US$1=CI$.82) closer to the international bank rate if you make the conversion at a bank.

Most vendors convert at differing rates. If they price their goods in US$ then they will use US$1=CI$.84. If they price their goods in CI$, then they will use US$1=CI$.80.

I have never seen a merchant convert at US$1=$CI.75.

Why don't the merchants use the international bank rate?
Because the banks do not offer that rate to their customers. If a business accepts your US$100 at a rate of US$1=CI$.82 they need to go to the bank to convert it into CI$ (to pay payroll, utility bills, etc...). The bank will only exchange that US$100 for CI$80, and the merchant has lost CI$2 in order to provide the customer the convenience of paying with a foreign currency.

Merchants here almost always exchange at the same rates that the bank will give them. Merchants are not making anything on the conversion. The only exception is for travellers cheques - you are better off taking them to the bank yourself.

scubachica:
Have booked with DiveTech for 4 days in September (am staying at Cobalt Coast) and have read a lot of mixed reviews on the boards here and on Rodale's, with a very negative report recently posted on Rodale's. Not sure whether I should put all of my eggs in one basket and dive with them all four days now. Am thinking abt splitting my days with them and another dive op like Red Baron, Off the Wall, etc. But, would prefer to dive with one op.

Anyone dive with them recently and have any opinions to share?

Thx.
I have used DT in the past and have stayed at CC. CC has very confortable accomodations at ARI is the best.

I never had any problems with DT they are my second choice when diving on GC, Sunset DIvers being my first.. becuase I feel they have the best staff on the island and dive almost all of GC. Last week during Zero Gravity we dove, mostly the north wall (more towards the east), the west wall, south side and east end, plus a 1 way trip from the carrie lee..

Drew Sailbum:
Yes, Travellers Cheques will get you a rate (US$1=CI$.82) closer to the international bank rate if you make the conversion at a bank.

Most vendors convert at differing rates. If they price their goods in US$ then they will use US$1=CI$.84. If they price their goods in CI$, then they will use US$1=CI$.80.

I have never seen a merchant convert at US$1=$CI.75.

Why don't the merchants use the international bank rate?
Because the banks do not offer that rate to their customers. If a business accepts your US$100 at a rate of US$1=CI$.82 they need to go to the bank to convert it into CI$ (to pay payroll, utility bills, etc...). The bank will only exchange that US$100 for CI$80, and the merchant has lost CI$2 in order to provide the customer the convenience of paying with a foreign currency.

Merchants here almost always exchange at the same rates that the bank will give them. Merchants are not making anything on the conversion. The only exception is for travellers cheques - you are better off taking them to the bank yourself.

Well, I can tell you there are plenty of places that charge over the .80 that you are stating. I could show you the reciepts. Anyway, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

I've heard that they are kind of pushy when it comes to their technical trips. Any one have any experience with them in that regard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom