Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, or Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think LC wins.....because of Bloody Bay Wall.
what would you recommend there for an economical place to stay and for a dive shop?

what would you recommend there for an economical place to stay and for a dive shop?
Not a lot of choices!
I don't think I'd go if I couldn't stay at Little Cayman Beach Resort. Unparallelled service, great food.

Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac are known for some shore diving, if that's of interest. In the case of Grand Cayman, the practicality of shore diving depends on where you stay.

Does topside matter to you? Grand Cayman is a cruise port with various topside excursions; the other 2 Cayman islands have less going on topside from what I hear.

I've dived all 3 multiple times and my preferences are Little > Brac > GC in terms of the diving overall. Grand IMO is too overbuilt with traffic jams, highways, crime and drunk drivers. As mentioned, Brac and LC are quiet, serene and unpopulated.
I personally like the dive sites at Jacksons Bight better than Bloody Bay in general but Mixing Bowl, at the junction of Bloody Bay and Jacksons is a fantastic site and I could dive it all day every day.

There are no bargains that I know of on LC but on the Brac, it should be possible to find a condo or beach house rental, buy groceries ,and dive with one of the dive ops and do+/- some shore dives as well.

My personal fave resort on the Cayman Islands is Little Cayman Beach Resort with Brac Beach Resort a close second. Both provide good accommodation, AI meals and diving at an arguably reasonable package price.

There are no stand alone dive shops on LC; all are associated with a dive lodge and will look after their own guests before booking outsiders, so you are taking a risk with Paradise Villas unless they can guarantee dive bookings.
Further, the grocery store on LC is quite limited and expensive. Someone else may have some info as to whether the local fishermen will sell their catch.

LC is just not a bargain destination. The Brac offers somewhat more choice re rentals, dive shops, restaurants and shore diving if one is on a tight budget.

LC

Hi @jomcclain

We meet again

I have also been to all three. My favorite is also Little Cayman and LCBR comes highly recommended. I do wish they did 4 dives per day.

Grand Cayman has had some really great diving but I'm afraid of the extensive SCTLD, affecting most of the dive sites. I do not know how onerous the disinfection protocols are. I particularly like Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers on the east end.

Because of the above, I would rank Cayman Brac second. I enjoyed CBBR very much, also 3 dives per day. Cayman Brac has some intriguing shore dive opportunities that I did not know of when i visited.

There are no stand alone dive shops on LC; all are associated with a dive lodge and will look after their own guests before booking outsiders, so you are taking a risk with Paradise Villas unless they can guarantee dive bookings.
Further, the grocery store on LC is quite limited and expensive. Someone else may have some info as to whether the local fishermen will sell their catch.

LC is just not a bargain destination. The Brac offers somewhat more choice re rentals, dive shops, restaurants and shore diving if one is on a tight budget.

LC
What about Little Cayman Divers - aren't they a stand alone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom