Grand Cayman and Hurricane Ivan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maladryne:
Charley was barely a Category 2 hurricane when it passed Cayman, and as hurricanes go it was relatively compact. Ivan's just hit Category 4, and is a whole other animal. If you go, consider yourself lucky if all you lose is a single day of diving. There's nothing cool about riding out a hurricane, especially on an island where the highest point above sea level is 60 feet (and that's at the top of the lighthouse in West Bay).

Ah, but Charley was but a wee Category 1 and the eyewall never came ashore. All we actually got for wind was Tropical Storm Force winds.

I lived right near the highest point on Grand Cayman for about 4 months before I realized it. "The Mountain" is in Northside and is all of 62ft above sea level.

Most of GC is much lower to the sea. A decent storm surge could run all the way across the island in a couple of spots that are particularly narrow and barely above sea level.

Maladryne:
Charley was barely a Category 2 hurricane when it passed Cayman, and as hurricanes go it was relatively compact. Ivan's just hit Category 4, and is a whole other animal. If you go, consider yourself lucky if all you lose is a single day of diving. There's nothing cool about riding out a hurricane, especially on an island where the highest point above sea level is 60 feet (and that's at the top of the lighthouse in West Bay).

It has been getting stronger and stronger as the day has gone on. My flight leaves in less than 11 hours from now. I just called American Airlines and they will let me change my ticket for free, so it looks like this trip is going to get pushed back, unless Ivan takes a huge turn by tomorrow morning. There is no way in hell I'm going to toy with a Cat 4 Hurricane. Even if I do lose a deposit or a plane ticket, who cares, not worth my life. Plus my family has been watching the news and has been calling me begging me not to go now.

I don't blame you. Ivan is starting to look pretty scary. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ryan

Yes, Ivan appears to be a whole different "animal" than Charley. We got just a breeze from Charley... if Ivan keeps doing what he's doing, batten down the hatches! We're planning on strapping down the boat, bringing the birds in from outside, throwing the lawn furniture in the pool... and I have some good books that I've been waiting for a rainy and windy day or 2 to read (probably by candlelight??). But, you never know... if only we had "weather" crystal balls...

Drew Sailbum:
I lived right near the highest point on Grand Cayman for about 4 months before I realized it. "The Mountain" is in Northside and is all of 62ft above sea level.
Heh heh. Know it well, although I still maintain the top of the lighthouse is higher. :)
Back in the day, I lived in Bo'sun Bay... just after you round Nor'west point and head east along the north shore, there used to be (and maybe still is) a large A-frame on the beach (guess it's close to where Cobalt Coast is now). I lived there with Reg, Bert (they're still at Sunset), and Captain Nemo. Tell 'em Dave said hi, if you see them while y'all are battening down the hatches. Good luck to all of you, I'll be saying a prayer or two on your behalf.

Rescheduled the trip for next week (and added one more day :wink: ). Ivan will have (hopefully) passed Cayman by by then and left it completely unscathed.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you all on the island. I look forward to being there next week.

I guess I will go diving in LA this weekend.

Sorry you had to push back your trip, :crying: but I definately think you made the right decision. I will still be praying for everyone down that way. :51:

Jennifer

Way too stressed. Supposed to fly in on Saturday, 9/11/04 (yea, a great day to fly, right?) Watching reports on Ivan-doesn't look good. Extended weather for GC shows Mon-Fri sunny and great. Don't know whether to cancel or not. Arranged for hotel in Charlotte (connecting flight) in case flights are cancelled Sat. and hoping they resume on Sunday. Anyone out there on the Island? Please share any scuttlebutt goin on. :11:

dazedone:
Rescheduled the trip for next week (and added one more day :wink: ). Ivan will have (hopefully) passed Cayman by by then and left it completely unscathed.
A bummer to reschedule, but probably wise. And hey, you get to squeeze in an extra day out of it! Wooohooo! Have a great time, I'm jealous.

Just got off the phone with Arie, the owner of the Cobalt Coast, he says I made a wise choice and moving/extending my trip is no problem. Only 5 days left until I go. Until then, all of you on the island are in my thoughts and prayers. It is looking like Ivan will turn more north away from the Caymans, so that looks like a good sign.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom