Grand Cayman advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imjeri2

New
Reaction score
My son wants to dive and is getting married this fall ( late Oct) I want to send them somewhere down that way for honeymoon - any ideas on this please?? Need to know where to book them into - and would like most cost effective places. Heard marriott isn't all it is claimed to be ?? Is Cayman's best place to send them for the diving and the money????? I have a budget!! HELP appreciated!!

Cayman is a great place to send them for the diving. It's a lousy place for the $$$. If you can get over the money thing (c'mon he's your son!) send them to Pirate's Point - http://piratespointresort.com/ (this is the second time today I've recommended this place. I gotta find out if they have any sales openings...)

imjeri2:
My son wants to dive and is getting married this fall ( late Oct) I want to send them somewhere down that way for honeymoon - any ideas on this please?? Need to know where to book them into - and would like most cost effective places. Heard marriott isn't all it is claimed to be ?? Is Cayman's best place to send them for the diving and the money????? I have a budget!! HELP appreciated!!
You could check out Divetech/Cobalt Coast,Nice location,away from heavy turisty areas such as 7 mile beach,But not far enough away that they can't drive there.Cobalt Coast and Divetech both have web sites.WWW.divetech.com WWW.cobaltcoast.com one will get you to the other site, It will be worth the price. Turtle gal

Just something to consider---October may be the start of Hurricane season and they are predicting 25+ tropical storms this season with possibly 3 to 4 Hurricanes. i would get travel insurance if going in the Fall; the extra 100 bucks could be well worth it. My $.02.

Barracuda2

does you son's fiance dive?

I agree that Pirate's Point is a nice spot on Little Cayman. The owner Gladys is a Cordon Bleu trained chef and serves outstanding meals. She teaches some cooking classes too.

Non-divers may find that Little Cayman doesn't have a lot more to offer in activites. Diving is fabulous, but otherwise the island is very sedate. It can be the perfect getaway for those with the right mindset.

imjeri2:

If you have a budget, you might consider other places. Cayman is expensive. How about Bonaire or Curacao in the Netherlands Antilles? They'd be south of the hurricane belt, accommodations are very reasonable, and they'd have the luxury of diving when they want (from shore) rather than having to rush through breakfast to catch a boat. My 2 cents' worth. -Clay

Take a look at Turtle Nest Inn. It's a small place, very quaint, quiet and romantic could be.
It's located in Boddentown, on the south shore west of the blowholes. Being in the middle of the island, it's easy to dive both sides( 7mb and east end). Ocean Frontiers will even come pick them up. And the snorkeling off the beach wasn't bad.
My wife and I really enjoyed our stay there, it would be perfect for a honeymoon.

http://www.turtlenestinn.com/

My husband's and my all time, favorite resort is Sunset House in Grand Cayman. It's not fancy, the rooms are very basic, but the diving is heaven, its geared to divers and their service is first rate. They have the best bar on the island (My Bar) and the food at both the bar and the Seaharvest restaurant is phenomenal. Its a very friendly atmostphere, and if his fiancee is a non-diver like me, the pool area is quiet and pretty and the snorkeling right off the dive dock is excellent. Sunset house is not on a beach, but its only about a half mile outside of Georgetown, with lots of restaurants and shopping and fun--very easily walkable, even in the heat. You can even go onto the pool deck in the morning and count the cruise ships in port to determine if you want to go into town or not!!! If you don't mind non-fancy accomodations (you will get a clean and comfortable room and housekeeping is top notch), its a great place to stay and less costly than the seven mile beach hotels. The SeaView hotel is just down the road and it also has a great restaurant, the Naked Fish--its my favorite lunchtime indulgence when I'm there.

Cayman is expensive, but its lovely, the diving and snorkeling are memorable and its quite safe. I can walk around at night alone and not worry. Here's the link to Sunset House, and good luck with your planning!!!

www.sunsethouse.com

Yaz

We stayed at the Reef resort. Quite, romantic away from it all. We had a studio with shower for two and separte tub for two, king size bed. Those may be nessities for a honeymoon. :wink: A rental car would be a must. But if you are on a budget, I would think about somewhere else than the Caymans.
Tim

Back
Top Bottom