GPS opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And another vote for Garmin!! I have Vista and just love it!

...hmm.. and I have Leadtek GPS Smart Antenna as well, (use it a lot in my car with PDA or laptop) ..... and I love it too :rolleyes:

and after reading about GEOCACHING on this board last year have found with the assist of the Magellan over 350 Arizona caches, it may not be a common as a Garmin but I will use it again and again. Then when Zellet is Certfied we will use it to get the above water coords for our own Scuba cache...

I have owned Magellan from day one and recomend it but since it can't be found in every store more people use Garmin IMHO

kinda like the FORD CHEVY debate

reguardless of what brand and what model, though the 315 has marine options and is a great unit, do use it and playing a game like Geocaching is a great way to learn the ins and outs of how the GPS can be of benefit to you...

I just recently purchased a Magellan SportTrak Pro and I really love it.

I had an older Magellan that I bought used from a friend and learned how to use it by Geocaching (lots of fun, by the way). It was a fairly simple GPS. If one had coordinates, it would point you in the right direction and was fairly accurate in pinpointing the spot, but the new SportTrak Pro has so many neat features, I don't know how I got along without it.

I think I got a really good deal on mine from Costco. Came with a cord to plug into computer, cord to plug into cigarette lighter, carrying case to carry on belt, carrying device to suction cup to windshield of vehicle and software to download detailed maps of any area in the US. All this and a $75 rebate also. The instore package is a little different then the online package, which can be found here .

I think that this little unit will work just as well on the water as it works on land. In fact, one of the features is the ability to specify "land use" or "water use". And it is water proof and it floats.

I haven't "played" around with a lot of different GPS's, but the first one I had worked really well, and my new one seems be working better then the first one.

And like some of the others have suggested, check out the Geocaching web-site here .

Goeduck

Back
Top Bottom