Gotta love that Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The majority of people I have seen carrying a pony in Puget Sound have had it mounted next to their primary tank on their back. Most of them are diving BCs where it's not easy to figure out how to sling a bottle.

I agree that the designated purpose of the bottle, not its location, determines it's label. A pony is an emergency supply and, in the majority of dives, should remain completely untouched. A stage is a planned gas source for the dive, and is breathed first. A deco bottle is what its name implies. It doesn't matter where you carry any of them.

Please tell me why you feel you need a Pony?

If gas were to become short you would have a proper buddy easily reachable and be prepared to share things properly. So why the pony?

Sure, but if gas became not just "short" but unavailable in a very short time? People who believe that in a true Out-of-gas situation (as opposed to low on gas), they could get their buddy's attention and start sharing air while their breathing reflex is initiating the panic cycle in their brain, live in La-la Land.

It cannot be because you fear equipment failure. If that was a problem during the dive there are several ways to sort out that issue way before you have to resort to a tank you really cannot say will work or not. (and no, you have no idea if it will work when you need it)

Ever heard about free-flows? Blown O-rings?

It cannot be because you think your buddy will be unhelpful during the dive. If that were the case you should not have done the dive in the first place. (and you MUST know that to be true)

Theory, my friend, it's all theory. Reality is different.

You know it is not a way to extend bottom time.
That is correct.

So why do you do it?

See above.

I've always found more people carrying their pony backmounted, at least around here. Maybe because a lot of them are photographers who want to keep their front clear.

I don't really know which is more common. The only point I was trying to make is that mounting it doesn't suddenly make it a pony and slinging it doesn't make it a stage.

I dive in cold water. One must define cold....it is cold - not freezing. The risk of free flow is NIL in cold water. Free flow happens when your gear is not regularly maintained/checked.
The risk from freeflow is possible in freezing water/ice water.

Free flows are not limited to reg. Ever have an inflator free flow in icy waters?....**** hits the fan really fast when that happens...
The risk of freeflow in water between 33 and 40 F is quite high, it doesn't have to be freezing or ice/water. To suggest it doesn't happen at temperatures above 32F is ridiculous. I have witnessed a number of them and had two myself in temps as warm as 45F

Oh man. I am in so much trouble. I dive a pony slung, I mean...a stage bottle now...I guess...and I don't really know what to do with a stage bottle. If only I knew it wasn't a pony. I could have died.

Someone please advice on what I am to do with my stage bottle...and if I have an issue that requires a pony-If I un-sling and re-mount it to my tank while under water, can I use it then for emergencies? Provided of course that I have time.

Oh man. I am in so much trouble. I dive a pony slung, I mean...a stage bottle now...I guess...and I don't really know what to do with a stage bottle. If only I knew it wasn't a pony. I could have died.

Someone please advice on what I am to do with my stage bottle...and if I have an issue that requires a pony-If I un-sling and re-mount it to my tank while under water, can I use it then for emergencies? Provided of course that I have time.

Maybe you could get a Pony Bag and then sling that. I don't think they make stage bags so you should be safe.:wink:

XS Scuba 19CF Pony Bottle Bag

A free flowing reg fails from a number of conditions. Most of which can be avoid with proper maintenance and the use of the right reg for the right conditions for cold water diving. I never had a reg fail in icy cold waters.( knocking on wood...my head of course) I have had an inflator fail. I have seen many freeflow aswell...to say it is not possible is - wrong of course. However it can be avoided with using the right regs for cold water diving and maintaining ones gear properly.

The risk of freeflow in water between 33 and 40 F is quite high, it doesn't have to be freezing or ice/water. To suggest it doesn't happen at temperatures above 32F is ridiculous. I have witnessed a number of them and had two myself in temps as warm as 45F

A free flowing reg fails from a number of conditions. Most of which can be avoid with proper maintenance and the use of the right reg for the right conditions for cold water diving. I never had a reg fail in icy cold waters.( knocking on wood...my head of course) I have had an inflator fail. I have seen many freeflow aswell...to say it is not possible is - wrong of course. However it can be avoided with using the right regs for cold water diving and maintaining ones gear properly.

It is possible to reduce the incidence by using cold water regs but if you receive a fill with a slightly higher moisture content even those will freeze up. If you do not fill your own air it is a little difficult to control that. Having redundancy in the one thing that we need to survive just makes so much sense to me. I am the person who has the greatest vested interest in saving my a$$, why would I rely on someone else.

It is possible to reduce the incidence by using cold water regs but if you receive a fill with a slightly higher moisture content even those will freeze up. If you do not fill your own air it is a little difficult to control that. Having redundancy in the one thing that we need to survive just makes so much sense to me. I am the person who has the greatest vested interest in saving my a$$, why would I rely on someone else.

I can agree with ya on that of course...

A stage is slung and pony is attached to your cylinder, they also used to be attached between doubles .

You mean like this?

1980sdoubles.jpg

This was on the RV Wahoo about 1989 or 90. At the time there were no back plates, Wing style BC's, Nitrox, Trimix, large steel tanks............

Oh, and he has his aluminum 80's tanks rigged with a single post doubles manifold and that is a real Jersy Reel.

Back
Top Bottom