Got narc'd at 110'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About three weeks ago I was in Cozumel. The first dive of the second day brought us to 100', and I was amazed when I suddenly realized that I was feeling "the buzz" at that depth! Clear water, no stress, in other words no environmental conditions that would explain why I felt it at shuch a shallow depth.

Reinforces GUE's suggested 100' END. Perhaps even less!

Roak

boomx5 once bubbled...
Have you heard of people getting narced at 70'?
I doubt that it is out of the realm of possiblility. Personally for me I feel narced at depths around 100 feet, especially if I'm cold. I've found that on real hot summer days when I'm cooking in my wetsuit and then do a deep dive I don't feel the effects so bad but on dives where I'm cold I feel the effects more. It seems to clear up for me at around 80 feet.

boomx5 once bubbled...
Have you heard of people getting narced at 70'?
Can't say about others...
But as for myself... and this is totally subjective... I can tell a difference between 2ATA and 3ATA and 4ATA.

But what you mean by the word narced makes a difference:
Now if by narced you are referring to buzzed or freaked or goofy... then no. But if you mean the subtle narrowing of focus then yes.... I get narced at 70'.

JT2 once bubbled...
When it is a proven fact that we can and do become tolerant to the most powerful and mind altering drugs in the world, why is it that Nitrogen is the only black magic exception to that rule?
I don't think it is any different, JT2

What you decribe is the well recognised tolerance to narcotic agents following continuous exposure.

I suspect the major difference with nitrogen in divers is that exposure is not continuous or frequent enought to generate genuine biochemical tolerance.

By the way, an interesting misunderstanding appears to have shown up on this thread.

There is a world of difference between awarenness of impairment and impairment. The symptoms desribed by many as narcosis are not, necessarily related to narcotic impairment. Consider what happens to a rebreather diver who forgets to switch on his oxygen. He gets increasingly more hypoxic and his performance becomes increasingly impaired but he is totally unaware of it. Indeed he will simply go to sleep, permanently in blissful ignorance.

As for those simple tests?

Nracotic impairment is to the higher functions mediated by the cerebrum. The cerebellum seems to be relatively resistant, which is why well practiced tasks such as writing one's name, is a very poor test of cerebral function (and why it is essential to practice drills rather than work them out at the time they are needed).

A more sensitive test of cerebral impairment would be an exercise in simple mental arythmetic, such as Serial Sevens at depth. (Writing down all the results of subtracting 7 from a particular number only disclosed to the diver at depth.)

For example if you are given the number 88 the results are; -

81, 74, 67, 60, 53, 46, 39, 32, 25, 18, 11, 4

Difficult enough on the surface. Now try it at 100 feet! Remember the number must be unseen prior to the dive - Your buddy gives you yours. You give him his. Scoring is the number of correct subtractions.

81, 74, 67, 60, 53, 46, 38, 31, 24, 18, 11, 4 = 10/12

Why not try it?

Let me know how you get on! :D

Back
Top Bottom