Got narc'd at 110'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug....
So, it wasn't a good ideal for me to buy my regs at Walmart?
hmmmmmm....

Seriously, are you saying that anyone/everyone who dives to/past 100' ( I know that isn't actually the magic number) on air, will in fact get narced?
Just curious

Bobb once bubbled...
Uncle Pug....
So, it wasn't a good ideal for me to buy my regs at Walmart?
hmmmmmm....

Seriously, are you saying that anyone/everyone who dives to/past 100' ( I know that isn't actually the magic number) on air, will in fact get narced?
Just curious

who dives to 60 ft or more IS narced to some extent, actually narcosis starts the moment you stick your head underwater and breath gas at elevated pressures.

To answer your question:

If you are defining *narced* as feeling the effects of narcosis then I suppose that is going to vary from day to day and individual to indiviual and dive environment to dive environment.

But if you define *narced* as impaired by nitrogen narcosis then yes... everyone subjected to elevated PPN2 is *narced* whether they perceive it or not.

Those who cannot perceive that they are impaired are at greater risk.

Thank you Sheck33 for answering this one already.

When it is a proven fact that we can and do become tolerant to the most powerful and mind altering drugs in the world, why is it that Nitrogen is the only black magic exception to that rule? I have to take powerful drugs for a medcal condition do to chronic pain that at the levels I take them at after two years of treatment daily, would possibly even be a lethal dose to someone who had never had the drug before,(it is a narcotic by the way) but I on the other hand because of extended exposer and gradual increases in doseage am not impaired by this medication anymore as far as reaction time , ability to act quickly, drive a car, dive and do many other things without a problem. I have been put through many tests to prove this, hell I had to prove it just to be able to get my drivers license, and a release for work. So my question is, why is Nitrogen the ONLY VODOO gas in the world that the whole" I can build a tolerence up to it" does not apply???? Can anyone answer that factually and back it up, or is it easier just to say don't do it and you don't have to worry about it? Where is the proof that it is impossible to build up tolerence to nitrogen narcosis, I for one want to know because all I have ever heard is a bunch of he said she said, so I ask again, show me the proof!!

tests have shown that rather than build a tolerance it is possible to deal with the impairment to some extent. Also, we do not exactly understand yet how and why nitrogen, and other gases, breathed at elevated pressures are narcotic. Somehow the way nerves communicate with each other is affected. One reason we are able to build tolerances to certain narcotics MIGHT be the fact that they affect nerve cells in a different way than N2 at elevated pressures. So it is really a 'fact' 'proven' by experience rather than a hard scientific explanation that we do not build a tolerance against narcosis

someone correct me if i am wrong.

That somewhat makes sense.

Howdy JT2:

I beleive that Uncle Pug and sheck33 are correct. Even though it is called "narcosis" inert gases under pressure seem to operate under a different mechanism than the narcotic drugs you take. There have been some studies that look at the question you ask about people adapting to the effects of nitrogen narcosis.

In one study (1) researchers looked at the effects of repeated exposures to 30% nitrous oxide at 1 ATA (thought to be similar in mechanism and effect to nitrogen under pressure). They found that while their research subjects felt like their performance improved over time, their actual performance on tasks in fact did not improve.

Another study (2) looked at nitrogen narcosis in repeated air dives (in a chamber) to 5.5ATA (~148fsw). They didn't discuss whether the divers thought that their performance improved, but the diver's actual performance did not improve on the tests they performed.

The effects of nitrogen narcosis will vary from diver to diver (and from dive to dive in the same diver), and repeated exposures to narcosis does seem to help some divers cope with the effects of narcosis, but the effects still seem to be present even with multiple exposures.

HTH,

Bill

References

(1)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...eve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1417647&dopt=Abstract

(2)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...eve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2741255&dopt=Abstract

I got narced the first dive to 100', which was a grotto dive, and, as Uncle Pug has said, was a "dark nark." On that dive, I was in very cold water with zero vis due to total darkness, and tanic water that would probably have no vis anyway. The symptoms from that dive were controllable anxiety, and moderate disorientation. I had a good instructor with me, and I called the dive and we ascended.

Now, my last dive to 100' was two days ago, again, with an excellent but differnent instructor (side note, the guy was wearing bp/wings with doubles, and I have to admit I have never seen a diver with the kind of buoyancy and trim control this guy had. It was almost hypnotic to see someone so still during a safety stop). The plan had been to do the dive in the Gulf, but bad weather forced another Grotto dive, this time to Blue Grotto in Willingston, Florida. Same depth, same dark conditions (this time due to overhead environment, not quality of water). This time, a TOTALLY different experience. Had a wonderfult dive. No anxiety, no disorientation with gauges.

Part of it may have been that this guy was such a professional, and we had spent so much time on our dive plan, that I had a feeling of control from the moment we descended. The only thing that may have represented some of the effects of nitrogen was that when we made our first safety stop, I was surprised the dive time was already 25 minutes. Seemed more like 15 minutes. However, time never "got away" from me, as I was riveted to my computer during the dive.

It'll be interesting to hear how your next deep dive goes, as one dive may not be at all representative of the next. Just make sure you have a highly competent buddy.

P.S.: One thing I forgot to mention is that first dive was compressed air, this was EANx34. If the texts are to be believed, shouldn't decrease the risk, but still noteworthy.

Thanks for the info sir, as usual it was very informative and interesting.

Back
Top Bottom