Got my first DH functional, now questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50Fathom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, I'm starting to get into the vintage diving scene, and a month or so ago I was given a old Voit 50 Fathom reg that was in rough shape. The hoses were rotted away, but the regulator box was all there and the blue metalflake paint was even in decent shape.

Well, a few internal parts from VDH and new hoses/rubber parts from the Scuba Museum, and she's back in business and breathing like a champ. (I work in a dive shop and am a reg tech, so I kinda sorta know what I'm doing and have access to tool and such.)

I'm LOVING these old regs and the other gear. Diving them is a HOOT!

I've had it in the pool test-diving it a couple of times and a few questions:

1. I test the unit and it is totally airtight. 100%. But after using it, I tear it down, and there is water inside the can. Not much, like condensation on all surfaces and a little bit pooled in the bottom, but that can't be right, is it? Also, there is some condensation on the inhale hose, which seems counter-intuitive. How is water getting in when I've tested it for airtightness on the surface and there are no leaks from it when underwater?

2. And probably a silly question, but I ordered a new HP seat from VDH as a spare, since the original, while grooved, still locked up tight with no creep or leakage. However, the original has two holes at different heights for the crossbar that the lever acts on, while the replacement only has one, closer to the end. Does it matter where the crossbar goes?

When I tore it down, it was in the "higher" hole, away from the bottom, (nearer the seat), which I presume would put more preload on the poppet spring. I rebuilt it that way and set the lever height to give around 1.3 inches of water on the inhale and it doesn't leak and locks up tight. I could maybe tune it a bit more aggressively, but since I rotated the guts to face the venturi down the intake hose, it breathes like a million bucks as-is. (Though, being downstream, it gets noticeably harder below 1000psi, but that's a nice reminder.)

Any help would be appreciated. I'm currently working on putting together a set of USD triples I was given and getting them dive-worthy. After that, who knows? The guy also has an old DA Aquamaster that would look great with a Phoenix nozzle...:eyebrow:

Have you taken the mouthpiece out of your mouth underwater or otherwise gotten it filled with water? The non-return valve in the MP isn't completely waterproof and water can sometimes work its way back to the can. I have, on occasion, gotten a small amount of water in my Aqua-Master's can when I've let the mouthpiece fill with water several times during a dive. This is why I always open the can and let the hoses and can (if needed) dry out when I get home.

Have you taken the mouthpiece out of your mouth underwater or otherwise gotten it filled with water? The non-return valve in the MP isn't completely waterproof and water can sometimes work its way back to the can. I have, on occasion, gotten a small amount of water in my Aqua-Master's can when I've let the mouthpiece fill with water several times during a dive. This is why I always open the can and let the hoses and can (if needed) dry out when I get home.

A few times, yeah. Good call! I'll try it again without letting the MP out at all and seeing what happens!

Their is a guy on Vintage Scuba - Vintage Scuba Gear at Vintage Double Hose who knows more about the Voit 50 Fathom than most anyone. Go to that site and look up Greg Barlow.

Will do, thanks!

I have found it is almost impossible to keep water out of the can all the time. Some dives none gets in, other times it does. Just remove the hose and rinse and dry.

A few times, yeah. Good call! I'll try it again without letting the MP out at all and seeing what happens!

Will do, thanks!

Hello. I sent you a PM regarding my contact information. I will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Here are a few of the downstream 50 Fathom regs that I have restored.

Greg

P1010478.jpg

P1011148.jpg

P1011147.jpg

P3100133.jpg

P1010536.jpg

Greg, your Voits are beautiful!

Hello. I sent you a PM regarding my contact information. I will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Here are a few of the downstream 50 Fathom regs that I have restored.

Greg

P1010478.jpg

P1011148.jpg

P1011147.jpg

P3100133.jpg

P1010536.jpg

Responded.

Holy CRAP, those are beautiful! If I didn't plan on using mine, I would send it over to you. I probably will anyway at some point! Those are stunning, and look almost TOO nice to dive!

Greg, your Voits are beautiful!

Thanks! The two ABS (blue plastic) regs are actually reproduction cans from thescubamuseum.com

While I love the looks of the painted 50 Fathoms, the reproductions usually get the nod for everday diving. I also have an original chromed version that has a number of "nicks and scratches". It has a VDH Duckbill Eliminator installed, and is one of my favorites.

Greg

Here is my original finish 1961 production 50 Fathom in action during last year's "Legends of Diving" event at Portage Quarry. It may not be the prettiest in my collection, but has performed perfectly on more than 50 dives.

Greg

IMG_0141.jpg

_DSC1494.jpg

GregandRVFMay3108003.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom