Got all my basic gear!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So after everybody's great advice to me in previous threads I have finally collected all of my basic gear!

I went to both the dive shop that I am taking the course at which is Dan's Dive Shop and the Flag n' Float in Burlington, as my boss suggested it. My gear selections are:

Mask: Tusa Freedom one as I tried on every single double lens mask they had and that one was the most comfortable and also very easy to have a prescription lens put in it later if I find it necessary. The fit was just right and the visibility on my peripherals was much more than most of the other masks.

My boots are a fourth element 6.5 mm boot. I was between them and a 45 dollar 7mm oceanic boot. The difference that made up my mind the most was warmth. Between the two they both fit fine and I didn't care too much on having a Velcro strap up top or not, but when I took off the fourth element boot I could really feel my feet get cold again.

The fins: I have said before when I got them earlier this week are a Sherwood Fusion fin I got them on sale too because the shop was trying to get rid of the black and blue ones to make way for a newer product! I didn't see any bad reviews of them. I hear that they lack power as compared to something like the F1 or Jetfin but I hope they should be alright! They fit really well with the boots I got and they came with a SS Spring heel which was really a selling point for me.

My snorkel is something I found on amazon, its 15 bucks and free shipping, I don't really plan on snorkelling too much but I needed one.

I had a question when I first joined the forum of if I could get my basic gear for a budget of $250 Canadian before taxes. The answer to that is yes I could have, I went over a bit because of the boots but now I have a set that I am really satisfied with above water and hope as well I will be underwater too!

Thanks everybody for all the advice!

-Aaron

Good job Aaron and good luck. Starting with good gear will certainly make your experience more pleasant and more encouraging to continue. Are you doing your training with Dan's shop? Maybe we will see you down here in the St Lawrence this summer.

Yea my open water is with Dan's dive shop. I hope to get a fair amount of diving in after the course and during the summer, so maybe! I hear the St. Lawrence has no shortage of wrecks, that is what I really want to see!

We have lots of good wrecks here, many clubs in the Toronto to Niagara area run trips up here for the diving. Also some kick a$$ drift diving if you are into trying that out, little intimidating at first but fun once you get the hang of things. I'm pretty sure people drift the Niagara river right? The only issue for the wrecks up here are you need advanced for the majority of them.

Good luck though, I know there is some good diving out your way of course, just get in there and get experience and comfortable in the water and with the gear.

The fit was just right and the visibility on my peripherals was much more than most of the other masks.
I like that you looked at the peripheral vision when trying on masks, I wish I had thought of it at the time! Congrats on your gear and have fun taking the course!

Diving and seeing the wrecks is cool, but drift-diving is just plain fun! Between the Niagara and St. Lawrence rivers, there's plenty of good spots. Hopefully the warm winter we're having means we'll be able to get into the water earlier this year.

Diving and seeing the wrecks is cool, but drift-diving is just plain fun! Between the Niagara and St. Lawrence rivers, there's plenty of good spots. Hopefully the warm winter we're having means we'll be able to get into the water earlier this year.

Very little if any ice on the St Lawrence down here, bit in some of the bays. The water is really low as well. If it keeps up this way we should have a boat in early May and have all the moorings brought up and ready to go. Hoping for a good season this year.

I am planing on doing the turtle dive up in I've Lea this spring I wanted to do it last year but I was busy it's a shallow dive but neat to see the turtles come out of hybernation

My advice is - Only buy quality gear and you will only have to buy it once (regs/tanks/bcd - or until it wears out for exposure suits). :) Good Luck!

Flag 'N Float was a nice shop. I haven't been there since Dean left for his place in Oakville. So I don't know what the shop is still as nice. I definitely like Dan's Dive Shop.

I didn't know Fourth Element had boots. Their gear is great. Not cheap but really nice. Last time I worked in Toronto the shop I was at had Fourth Element. I'll have to see if they still do and see if they can get some 'demo' boots for me to try. :)

Are you using BP/W for your OW? Does Dan's even use jacket style BCDs anymore? Do they teach long hose?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom