GoPro Housing -- Golem Gear Any Good??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GF99/99

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Newer Gopro user here (but long time DLSR user)

I was given a Hero8 and have been looking around at housings just to have a quick and easy no hassle point and shoot action camera. I do a lot of sub 100m diving so I am mainly looking at Isotta, Iqsub, and Golem Gear housings. I have never used any of them but I do have some friends that use Isotta housings and they have nothing but great things to say about it however I like the price of the Golem Gear housing alot more. Especially since they are on sale right now.

Does anyone have any experience with the Golem Gear Hero8 housing?? especially interested in the build quality and button function at depth. And of course if anyone has had any leak issues.

Or should I just scrap the Gopro idea and try the new Paralenz however I am very skeptical of the paralenz. I have two friends that have nothing but bad things to say about them and have gone back to Gopro's. And I have read a lot of mixed reviews about them on here.

Also yes I have video lights, two Gralmarine LED 8's they are 9,600 lum each.

Just bought the 500' for my gopro 9, it's beautiful. GG's housings are manufactured in partnership with IQSub, says it on the side of the housing. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. Jakub was really helpful too, I was in a rush to get this before a trip. I'd trust it at technical depths, buttons work fine at depth and the windows are big and clear front and back.

The latch on the door is single action which is less secure than the supersuit or other deep housings but hasn't been an issue and is easier to open. 6 or dozen/2. Supersuit is rated to 200 but mine pressed the screen at depth and I couldn't see the live image. Had an Isotta on order but date kept slipping and it was $$$.

I run mine on top of the big camera or when size/space is an issue. I've used it clipped to my DSV even.

Attachments

• PXL_20210407_172726929.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210407_172726929.PORTRAIT.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 191
Hi
I used to have a 150M rated IQsub for an old gopro 3 and took it down below the 100M mark a few times without any problem.
The IQsub products are generaly of good quality and as you are in Australia, why don't you buy directly from.them in Europe instead of going through Golem?
Now I have a Paralentz and I am really happy with it. But I am not at all a photographer...

As a GoPro user for years, my opinion is this. Use the GoPro housing. Bottom line it works and works well. Make sure to use a defogger strip as well. The late model GoPro batteries heat up more than the earlier versions and you will get some condensation inside the case if your not using a defog strip.

As a side note. Buy the 5 dollar a month subscription warranty service. If you flood the camera you are allowed a replacement so many times a year. It’s worth it not only for that but you get discounts on accessories as well.

Make sure to purchase a quality red filter set as well. Your gonna like the GoPro underwater but it also takes awesome footage above water.

Here’s one more bit of advice. Although they say the camera itself is good for around 30 feet or so with no housing. DONT dive the camera without a housing. Too many horror stories of those that did and flooded the camera. The housing is just extra insurance. If you have pets, make sure when closing the hatch that no hair is between the seal. Just do a good wipe prior to closing and you’ll be fine.

Another good resource for all things GoPro is to go on YouTube and look up Mic Bergsma. Dude is awesome.

Enjoy

Glenn

As a GoPro user for years, my opinion is this. Use the GoPro housing. Bottom line it works and works well. Make sure to use a defogger strip as well. The late model GoPro batteries heat up more than the earlier versions and you will get some condensation inside the case if your not using a defog strip.

As a side note. Buy the 5 dollar a month subscription warranty service. If you flood the camera you are allowed a replacement so many times a year. It’s worth it not only for that but you get discounts on accessories as well.

Make sure to purchase a quality red filter set as well. Your gonna like the GoPro underwater but it also takes awesome footage above water.

Here’s one more bit of advice. Although they say the camera itself is good for around 30 feet or so with no housing. DONT dive the camera without a housing. Too many horror stories of those that did and flooded the camera. The housing is just extra insurance. If you have pets, make sure when closing the hatch that no hair is between the seal. Just do a good wipe prior to closing and you’ll be fine.

Another good resource for all things GoPro is to go on YouTube and look up Mic Bergsma. Dude is awesome.

Enjoy

Glenn
the op is asking about deep housing...

I really don't know much about the new gopro but is their housing good below 300ft? Real question

I just said 400 feet and I apologize. The GoPro with housing is good to 196 feet. If your diving deeper then yes you need a deep case. My apologies

glenn

Thanks for the info.
196ft is already a good rating.
No need to apologize, we are all reading a bit too fast sometimes:cheers:

I've been using the iQsub case (same as the GG) with my Hero8 for a couple of years now. I've had it to 250+ feet on multiple occasions and I don't treat it very nicely. It is bombproof and can withstand some pretty harsh conditions. I will sometimes clip it off on a D ring which means it is banging around with bailout cylinders, on/off the boat, etc.

Given my constant abuse, I've had to change the Perspex lens on the front once but that was easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom