GoPro - housing failure at depth & rubber bands??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oerentals

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've heard some stories that the standard GoPro waterproof housing can get over compressed at depth, causing the backdoor to get pushed in and the latch to loosen and possibly leak, or upon ascent open up as the pressure changes, again allowing flooding.

Some have suggested a simple rubber band over the latch can help avoid this.

I was hoping for some real world acecdotal data on this:
- anyone have the problem? At what depth does it become a problem? (I would think it wouldn't happen at 20-30ft reef dives, but could be an issue at 100ft)
- Do rubber bands work? Does salt water weaken the rubber band at all?

I have taken my GoPros down to 100' on many many occasions without the need for rubber bands. The back door being pushed in farther will only help it seal better. The latch becoming loose is not a problem. It has no holes to the inside, and due to the design of it, does not simply pop open. Upon ascent the door will loosen, but only o the point that the latch will let it. I would not worry at all if I were you. My entire dive group dives with GoPros, some of us, myself included, own more then one. None of us have ever had an issue.

It is very much of an issue. I pretty much always use a rubber band. It functions to keep the latch in the down position at depth. Before doing this, I've been coming up and on deco see my latch flopping in the breeze. Scared the crap out of me, but I guess there was still enough pressure on the door to keep it shut.

I've had the GP to the rated depth dozens of times now with never a leak or a problem.. but I use a rubber band.

From a personal, and business/rental, perspective I'm thinking a rubber band is easy insurance. I'm throwing them in every rental package with a note, and using them myself from now on. May not be much of an issue, but a small piece of rubber can be very protective :wink:

It is very much of an issue. I pretty much always use a rubber band. It functions to keep the latch in the down position at depth. Before doing this, I've been coming up and on deco see my latch flopping in the breeze. Scared the crap out of me, but I guess there was still enough pressure on the door to keep it shut.

I've had the GP to the rated depth dozens of times now with never a leak or a problem.. but I use a rubber band.

Hmm. Interesting. I am going to try to pop the latch at 100' tomorrow to see if I can get it to flop open. Maybe the latches are tighter for some reason on all of ours. A group of 10 of us that do 5-10 dives a week all with GoPros and none of us have had that issue.

I guess a rubber band is a safety measure, especially if you are renting them. It couldn't hurt.

Hmm. Interesting. I am going to try to pop the latch at 100' tomorrow to see if I can get it to flop open. Maybe the latches are tighter for some reason on all of ours. A group of 10 of us that do 5-10 dives a week all with GoPros and none of us have had that issue.

I guess a rubber band is a safety measure, especially if you are renting them. It couldn't hurt.

My experience is that they are not going to pop open by themselves but at depth if it brushes up against a reg hose or your suit it will catch and open up. The case will remain sealed due to prssure at depth but as you ascend into the shallows the case can definately open up at that point especially since the expanding air in the case which was closed under pressure to start with can push open the door. If you dont want to put on a band just make sure as you ascend that you have checked it is secure and maybe even keep your thumb on it.

I've dived to 40m a couple of times this week & there's no doubt that the backdoor gets pushed in and the latch has felt worryingly loose! Not thought of a rubber band - great idea!

Thanks for the extra info Craig. I have yet to have an issue, but now I am going to see what I can make happen. I have a few housings so I will take an empty one with me and put it through a brutal torture test. LOL...

I have personally had the latch flip open on me. Luckily I saw it as it was happening, and took corrective action. I have had a person on my boat actually flood one because of this issue. I have seen it happen with my own two eyes. I have bungee wrapped around my housing to hold the door shut for sure. This is an issue, and I recommend that you at least put a rubber band on the housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom