GoPro HERO7 Black Underwater Camera Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With my GoPro 6, I usually get 2 dives with the same battery charge. When diving I only record short segments vs the entire dive (for me that would be an editing hassle). The battery life of my 3+ was not that much different.

You mean 45 minutes continuous? What res and frame rate? I haven't had an issue with my Hero 6 and usually get two 60-minutes dives on a battery, shooting 2.7K/48. I don't run continuous and use Quik Capture so it turns on with shutter press and goes off with shutter press. I'm also judicious in my shots. I don't need another clip of a french angel or spotfin butterfly unless they are doing tricks.

Have you tried another battery just to be sure you didn't get a bad battery? I would never take a 3 or 4 over a 5/6/7 underwater. You give up so much in color, resolution, and stabilization. I'd rather get less but better quality footage. Since you have both, get a tray and take both.

There must be something in your settings. I get about 60min on mine shooting in 4K 60 FPS with ultra smooth on.

But I only ever leave it on continuously when I have it on the mask mount. When in the mask I have the back screen set to sleep. If I have it on the mono or the stick I leave the screen on but only hit record when I want to shoot. I get about 60-70min of under water time on a single 80lb (60ish ft). If I go deeper on a single tank I get less. So I have never had an issue with battery life under water. I do have lots of extra batteries so I make sure I change them after every dive.

I have the 7 black. Had some issues.
First the hypersmooth stabilization is not working, or lets say, the videos under water have still shocks, what I normally not have. And it is not the camera that moves, but it is the capture, the saving on the card. I have bought 3 different micro sd cards and with all it is happens. 1 of the cards is a recommended card. The other must be fast enough also according to specs but not on the recommended list and the 3rd is a class10 nothing special card. This gives the best results, but is according to the specs too slow. Haven't found a way to get rid of this. Have tried 60fps, 2.7 30 fps. So I cannot change this and buying another brand of the recommended cards is not happening, the cards still cost money and I have 1 of the recommended ones.
If you sent back the card, they say the card is working. If you go to the goprodealer they say it the camera is working, it is the card.

Another issue I had and that was really annoying as I missed some dives because of this (better say, I did not have video of some dives) and that was draining the battery when not turned on. I charged the battery, checked everything, drove to the divesite and gopro was empty again. This was with the recommended card. Now I use the too slow card or the other card that is not on the recommended list and that gives the best results and is not draining the battery. Formatting did not help.

Photos from a gopro under water are really crap. Don't do that. Above water they are ok. Video's under water are ok, but sometimes some shocks. I have on Youtube some videos in caves shot with the 7.

The battery lasts 60 minutes. I don't shoot 60 minute video, only 10 minutes or so, so I can do 2 dives of 3 hour with 1 battery. I turn the gopro off when not using. It is not long, but ok, it works.

I choosed the Gopro 7 over the Paralenz when my lovely Weefine divergo flooded because: The lcd screen. You absolutely need that to take the best shots. I hate it when the screen is getting off. I need to see what I capture.
And the gopro7 is much much sharper in video. I think it is one of the best action cams now. But yes, not cheap.

I have been Using GoPro's to shoot while diving since the GoPro 2.
I have shot with the 3, 4, 5, 6 and now 7.

They just did an update about 2 weeks ago which dramatically helped the 4k battery life on the 7 Black when I did 3 dives on two batteries in San Diego. The ultra smooth I think really helps and the color on the 7 I think is better than the 6 and way way better than the 5.

Comparison videos -
Monterey
- GoPro 7 4k Ultrasmooth - Backscatter Magenta Filter and 15+ Macro Lens

Roatan
- GoPro 6 1080p - Red filter

Key Largo
- GoPro 5 1080p - Red filter

La Jolla
- GoPro 5 1080p - No Filter

Manly
- GoPro 3+ - No Filter

As you can see with the progression they have gotten much better with color and stability moving up each model. Been really happy with the 7 and see a big improvement with it over the 6.

Gopro7 black, hypersmooth on, no filter, you see what I mean with not completely stable sometimes. and it was not me, it is really captured this way:

But further extremely clear and the colors are nice.

The activeon CX Gold, really good too:

The activeon CX, you see the difference, it is not bad, but worser than the others:

You recommend use a camera that support water pressure or buy a case for a professional DSLR? im trying to get nice pictures, not for profesional reasons, but i want to create a dive site, and i want to ask what you recommend me to take the pictures, i was using GoPro Hero 6 the video was ok, but the pictures don't

For pictures I use an OMD. For video the gopro. Dont expect good photos from an action cam. They are average.
But ok, sometimes you get a lucky shot. I made with the activeon cx gold one photo that was shared and shared and now is in a museum. But that was only 1 out of 10.000 pics. But yes it is possible. With the OMD the chances to make good pictures are much higher.
I was limited because the actioncam limits me. Now i limit the omd.

You recommend use a camera that support water pressure or buy a case for a professional DSLR? im trying to get nice pictures, not for profesional reasons, but i want to create a dive site, and i want to ask what you recommend me to take the pictures, i was using GoPro Hero 6 the video was ok, but the pictures don't

I find the 4k Stills I get from the GoPro 7 to be pretty solid, I would rather shoot the video then get stills from it for most of my uses. I edit it video as part of my job so I am biased there but I feel it captures more of what it feels like to dive rather than still.

However for Macro, still is king, shooting nudibranchs in a current on video is tough :)

I travel a lot for work and thankfully I can pack most of my gear in a carry on (The scuba pro hydros is amazing for this) so the small gopro setup with the UK Aqualights is a really good setup for travel.

I have been Using GoPro's to shoot while diving since the GoPro 2.
I have shot with the 3, 4, 5, 6 and now 7.

They just did an update about 2 weeks ago which dramatically helped the 4k battery life on the 7 Black when I did 3 dives on two batteries in San Diego. The ultra smooth I think really helps and the color on the 7 I think is better than the 6 and way way better than the 5.

Comparison videos -
Monterey
- GoPro 7 4k Ultrasmooth - Backscatter Magenta Filter and 15+ Macro Lens

Roatan
- GoPro 6 1080p - Red filter

Key Largo
- GoPro 5 1080p - Red filter

La Jolla
- GoPro 5 1080p - No Filter

Manly
- GoPro 3+ - No Filter

As you can see with the progression they have gotten much better with color and stability moving up each model. Been really happy with the 7 and see a big improvement with it over the 6.
I have the 7 and it is the best GoPro yet - by far. However, your comparison is skewed as lights are clearly being used in the Hero 7 clip but not the others.

Back
Top Bottom