GoPro Hero3 Black Startup Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duncdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Upcoming trip to Taveuni will be my first venture into underwater videography, and I have pre-ordered a Hero3 Black to be delivered "soon" - as long as Wal-Mart does not snatch them all up. Since I am a once-per-year vacation diver, I don't want to spend a lot for lights, trays, etc., but realize that some lighting must be done for good coral and fish colors at the 60-100 ft depths we are planning, two tank dives. I have read many threads here and am asking your opinions and suggestions on this setup: Snake River Tray ($130), SR Arms ($40), Cree Diving SSC-P7-C-SXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED flashlights (2 x $80). This works out to about $330 total cost, just a bit less than the camera, and not including filters (open to suggestions here?). I am very handy mechanically, but don't have a lot of time for designing any self-made items. I will come up with some light diffusers.

Is this about "minimalistic" as you experts may suggest? I can always use the flashlights later when camping.

I also considered a dive mask mounted camera with just one handy flashlight, but I have two concerns: 1) turning the GoPro off to conserve batteries and memory use, and 2) the "Blair Witch Hunt" effect when I am constantly tunring my head to get it all in. I am sure some editing will help, but finding time to do that will be a big post-vacation issue too.

Last edited:
Upcoming trip to Taveuni will be my first venture into underwater videography, and I have pre-ordered a Hero3 Black to be delivered "soon" - as long as Wal-Mart does not snatch them all up. Since I am a once-per-year vacation diver, I don't want to spend a lot for lights, trays, etc., but realize that some lighting must be done for good coral and fish colors at the 60-100 ft depths we are planning, two tank dives. I have read many threads here and am asking your opinions and suggestions on this setup: Snake River Tray ($130), SR Arms ($40), Cree Diving SSC-P7-C-SXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED flashlights (2 x $80). This works out to about $330 total cost, just a bit less than the camera, and not including filters (open to suggestions here?). I am very handy mechanically, but don't have a lot of time for designing any self-made items. I will come up with some light diffusers.

Is this about "minimalistic" as you experts may suggest? I can always use the flashlights later when camping.

I also considered a dive mask mounted camera with just one handy flashlight, but I have two concerns: 1) turning the GoPro off to conserve batteries and memory use, and 2) the "Blair Witch Hunt" effect when I am constantly tunring my head to get it all in. I am sure some editing will help, but finding time to do that will be a big post-vacation issue too.

I'm all against head mounted GoPros (unless you really need to be hands free) for the reason you pointed out, plus the bubbles. As of wanting to power it on/off, the first time I used the GoPro diving I kept switching modes and powering it off: it didn't last the two tank dives. Now I just keep it on and don't turn it off and still had 2/3 of battery (eventually that would change to 1/3 and then back to 2/3). I'm not 100% sure the power cycling affects the battery life, but from now on I just keep it on.

As of the tray, as you mentioned that you are a once-per-year diver, I don't think a $130 tray would justify the expense, I'm sure they are good quality but it's just a hefty price tag - there are trays for $40 that will do the job. I have a Intova Slim that is very tiny and cost about that much... but... your money, your call.

That's EXACTLY whatI was looking for, feedback wise. I have not read about the Intova Slim prior to my posting, and now see how this will be more than adequate and saved $100 too. I will keep your power cycling observation in mind too. This is surprising to me. Would you suggest an extra battery pack anyway?

P.S. The Intova reviews on one website were less than complimentary. They cite "poor construction" where the arm attaches. Have you had any problems?

A battery pack is nice, but on my last dives a single battery lasted both tanks (about 50 minutes each dive). I don't keep the camera rolling the whole dive, just shoot small clips of stuff that matters (maybe 15 minutes per dive).

I have absolutely no complaints on the build quality of the tray. The "slim" on the name may sound negative when it comes to sturdiness, but it's not the case, it's all made of metal (non magnetic, so its probably anodized aluminum) minus the flex arm and the knob. It's actually hard to take apart. You can buy another extension arm and mount on the other side in case you have two lights, requires a torch adapter that cost about $8. The flex arm is about 1" in diameter and can hold some weight and will stay put in place.

Here are some pics I just took of my tray:

bEyRS.jpg

U5XRP.jpg

Toozler, you sold me. Get your sales commission. I will do a dual light system as I am unsure about the beam width with FOV. This also provides a backup and I have read posts where these lights have failed due to water. Some recommend better o rings which I happen to have. Is the black cover the back pack viewer? Sorry for such a newbie question. I think I might include this in my original purchase now that you found me another $100 - or should I just take another dive?

I will take the $100 if you can't decide what to do! I could use that to get the extension arm to make it more stable to hold. In all fairness, not to undermine the SRP product, it seems very good build but not for my pocket.

The black cover there is the lens cover, but this is a Hero2 on a Dive Housing, the Hero3 has it's own lens cover here: Caps and Doors | GoPro Accessories | Extra Protection for your HERO3

With the extra $100, I would suggest the following:

1. The fog strips, the Hero3 fogs too (these are a better deal than the gopro brand, same material).

2. A lanyard to clip it on to your BC (this can be found at any hardware store, or a regular clip+coil from dive stores, like this, which is safer).
21VpP3JuA3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
31e5qW6v4lL._AA300_.jpg

The light beam angle MUST be higher than 60, preferably 120. See "3D Divers" topic for more info on lights.

Fog strips are on order. I have not found what the Cree dive flashlight beam width is. Hopefully adding some diffusers and its 900 lumen power will get me by. It only seems availble from China so i hope my order today arrives in time. I still need to get filter advice. Your check is in the mail <grin>. Do you use the rear viewfinder?

I took a lot of ideas from that post. I was just informed the Cree 900 lumen flashlights I ordered are now un-obtainium and have opted instead for MagicShine MJ-810e dive 1000 lumen flashlights. Will fabricate some light dispersant lenses when they arrive. Othwerwise I think I am set and hope to have lots of scuba video goodies at my doorstep when i return from this current business trip.

I took a lot of ideas from that post. I was just informed the Cree 900 lumen flashlights I ordered are now un-obtainium and have opted instead for MagicShine MJ-810e dive 1000 lumen flashlights. Will fabricate some light dispersant lenses when they arrive. Othwerwise I think I am set and hope to have lots of scuba video goodies at my doorstep when i return from this current business trip.

Duncdiver - how are you planning on building the dispersant lenses? i'm in the middle of trying to build a solid setup as well. However, i dive 99% of the time in murky green waters in the puget sound so lights are sorta necessary... especially now when pretty much every dive is a "night dive" after 4:30... trying to build a cheaper light setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom