GoPro found after 3 months at sea...Thanks Robert at Scuba Works!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

makologic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just thought I'd give a big shout out to Robert at Scuba Works in Jupiter. I lost my GoPro coming up the ladder on a JDC dive. Had too much stuff hanging off me and looked like a yardsale (lobster snare, ticklestick, lobster bag, gopro stick) and it popped off on the ladder. I didn't have enough air or confidence to make a bounce and get it so I reluctantly let it go.

Fast forward 3 months, I get a call from JDC because Robert found it on a dive, saw the video, recognized the ladder as a JDC boat, and found me through them. Crazy that the camera survived 3 months at 70-90 feet, and still works. I think it had some condensation moisture Robert was able to dry it out enough to work and now its functional. Thanks again Robert, and I'll be booking my next dive with y'all (all the Jupiter boats have been great).

Lesson learned....looking like a yard sale with crap hanging all over the place is a bad idea....

Last edited:
Lesson learned....

Rob (aka=Professor Nitrox) is a great guy to dive with and straight up honest.

Speaking of lesson's learned. Stop this week at any pet store and they will have one of those automatic dog/cat tag engraving vending machines. On the tag put your Scubaboard name (cause it's unique and easy for google to search), cell number and lastly the word "reward". For $5, you can zip tie the dog/cat tag to your camera and folks will know how to contact you easily.

That's A great idea. I'll have my phone number on the next one for sure at the very least

After you dropped it, on its way down it looked like it was looking for a safe landing spot....twisting and turning! :) Glad you got it back.

Like a dog looking for a spot to do its business...

I also just realized that it was underwater during hurricane Matthew and ended up very close to where it was dropped. I figured it would have been long gone.

This is a great story. Share it with GoPro and maybe they'll give you a 5! :)

I found a GoPro in Boynton Beach that was on a stick and came off during ascent. It spiraled down to the reef and landed on its side. It then functioned as a very nice fish cam for the next hour or so, until the battery or memory card were spent. It belonged to a diver out of the same marina and I was able to locate the owner. It had not identifying info on it, the dog tag is a great idea.

I had a reel returned to me, one I lost at keys. Thankfully I had my name and phone on it, and it was a high traffic area. I kept my fingers crossed. Then I got a phone call, someone from Tampa found it. Then the person has brought it over when was visiting the Atlantic side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom