gooseberry Island dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
joined @AfterDark for a dive.

Did gooseberry Island this evening. Waited for high tide so got in a little after 4. Max depth was still 10ft. Vis around 5 feet, water temp 73 degrees. Saw a lot of little fish among the vegetation no crabs or lobster though there was evidence of them being there. Parking is tight I had to do circles for about 15 minutes waiting for someone to leave. Entry is easy, there are some large flat rocks you can set your tank on for gearing up. It is pure sand so all my gear inside and out is sanded despite using mats.

joined @AfterDark for a dive.

Did gooseberry Island this evening. Waited for high tide so got in a little after 4. Max depth was still 10ft. Vis around 5 feet, water temp 73 degrees. Saw a lot of little fish among the vegetation no crabs or lobster though there was evidence of them being there. Parking is tight I had to do circles for about 15 minutes waiting for someone to leave. Entry is easy, there are some large flat rocks you can set your tank on for gearing up. It is pure sand so all my gear inside and out is sanded despite using mats.
Did you do the shore dive and swim to the island? Where did you park?

Parked on the island and walked in next to the dirt boat ramp.

Did you do the shore dive and swim to the island? Where did you park?

@CT-Rich, it was Gooseberry Island Westport MA on the east shore facing Buzzards Bay. It's after Horse neck Beach, Rt88. It was a site I dove in my teens, back then we could drive all the way to the point on the south end the island and find 20-30FSW we could also get out to Hens and Chickens Reef from the point. That whole area at the point is tog heaven the part we dove today is the "nursey" for the togs. We saw lots of small and just under legal size togs today. We were probably 400' from shore and only found 10FSW max. Lots of rocks, seaweeds and small fish.

There is a Gooseberry Island in Newport, Westport, and one more spot I can't remember.

The Secret History of Gooseberry Island - New Bedford Guide

It's a beautiful spot.

The biggest fish I saw was about six inches i was on @AfterDark left side and he scared all the bigger ones to the right.

I saw quite a few at least foot long maybe bigger, there were some that never got closer than the limit of the vis, more like shadows.

Gooseberry Island Westport the red spot is the boat ramp
Inkedgooseberry_LI.jpg

West side has significantly more structure.

Also tog have a lot of pressure around there due to easy access for spear fishermen. Not far from there the tog are dumb as rocks and will swim right up to you.

West side has significantly more structure.

Also tog have a lot of pressure around there due to easy access for spear fishermen. Not far from there the tog are dumb as rocks and will swim right up to you.

The West side was a washing machine we would have been bumping into structure. I'm yaking to the south point soon and shore dive from there like the old days. The east side is protected from the prevailing west SW winds we get in the summer. Just need to watch the tides, and watch out for squalls.

The West side was a washing machine we would have been bumping into structure. I'm yaking to the south point soon and shore dive from there like the old days. The east side is protected from the prevailing west SW winds we get in the summer. Just need to watch the tides, and watch out for squalls.

The only problem for me with kayaking out to a site is wearing the exposure suit while kayaking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom