Google Earth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've downloaded the free version - but I can't seem to get it to go outside of the U.S.

I'm planning a trip to Europe in the summer, and I thought it would be fun to take a look at the hotels I've booked. For example, I wanted to look at the hotel I'm considering in Heraklion, Crete. It took me to the Greek consulate in NYC.

Couldn't get my hotel in Paris to show up either. Then I read that you can view the streets but maybe not individual addresses. So I tried just the streets - didn't work - showed me the location of some Parisian apartment rental agency in NYC.

Do you have to buy the upgraded version to see anything outside of the U.S.?

I just found GE as well, and promptly wasted an entire afternoon playing with it.:sod:

chepar:
I've downloaded the free version - but I can't seem to get it to go outside of the U.S.

I'm planning a trip to Europe in the summer, and I thought it would be fun to take a look at the hotels I've booked. For example, I wanted to look at the hotel I'm considering in Heraklion, Crete. It took me to the Greek consulate in NYC.

Couldn't get my hotel in Paris to show up either. Then I read that you can view the streets but maybe not individual addresses. So I tried just the streets - didn't work - showed me the location of some Parisian apartment rental agency in NYC.

I got it to go to Greece okay, then zoomed in on the island. Doesn't show anything but terrain, tho. Guess it'd marketed towards the US.

It's just very inconsistent. A lot of the Caribbean is just non-detailed satellite imagery yet I spent about 20 minutes looking at every little gulf, village and trail in the Eastern Persian Gulf. You can see the Seven *******'s Dubai hotel from almost a ground level perspective.

Seen the Pyramids yet? Fly to Cairo and move to the SW of the city. Also the Grand Canyon is mapped in the highest res I've seen, you can see individual rocks and whole layers of the walls. Even the shadows of people on the trails.

Another cool time-waster is Manhattan or Washington DC.

Ok, I took a little more time to play with it - and yes, it's inconsistent.

I was able to get up pretty close in Athens, Greece - but it didn't search by street.

I was able to get very close in Paris, but I had to find my hotel by locating the Eiffel Tower and navigating the streets from there.

London was great - at first I found the hotel I stayed at last time by navigating the nearby monuments, so I tried it with the hotel I'm trying out this summer - but then I discovered I could search by hotel name and it pinpointed that way. London also allows you to get a really good close up look.

chepar:

No info for Crete yet but I believe this is the coordinate

Bo Danker:
No info for Crete yet but I believe this is the coordinate
You can zoom in on Crete Island, just wont get much info.

Suppose they concentrate on more popular areas that US customers might pay $20 a year to see better. I'e almost talked myself into it. Spent much more to get "Naked News"

I've had it as a shortcut on my desktop for 6 months, it's great.
I looked up UP's place when I sent him Moonie a while back.

sjspeck:
It's just very inconsistent. A lot of the Caribbean is just non-detailed satellite imagery yet I spent about 20 minutes looking at every little gulf, village and trail in the Eastern Persian Gulf. You can see the Seven *******'s Dubai hotel from almost a ground level perspective.

Seen the Pyramids yet? Fly to Cairo and move to the SW of the city. Also the Grand Canyon is mapped in the highest res I've seen, you can see individual rocks and whole layers of the walls. Even the shadows of people on the trails.

Another cool time-waster is Manhattan or Washington DC.

Isn't so much inconsistent as that different regions/towns/governments pay or have not paid for high resolution satellite imagery to be taken of their area.

For example if you zoom in to Jamaica, only Kingston is in moderately detailed resolution.
I think most Caribbean government's haven't paid or don't need the ultra high-res imagery to be taken of their countries!
Example, Bonaire and Cayman even when zoomed in are almost green blobs :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom