Good undersuits for APEKS KVR1.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teo Heyl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!

Just got an Apeks KVR1 drysuit. I need help with undersuits for 2 types of diving:
1) I need an undersuit for diving temperatures between 14C and 20C. I know because of the double layering of the kvr it's quite insulated. So if an designated undersuit is recommended- which would you recommend?
2) I am planning a trip to Plura this December. So an undersuit is definitely required- which would you recommend that doesn't break the bank?

Regards
Teo

Hi all!

Just got an Apeks KVR1 drysuit. I need help with undersuits for 2 types of diving:
1) I need an undersuit for diving temperatures between 14C and 20C. I know because of the double layering of the kvr it's quite insulated. So if an designated undersuit is recommended- which would you recommend?
2) I am planning a trip to Plura this December. So an undersuit is definitely required- which would you recommend that doesn't break the bank?

Regards
Teo

The double layering of the Apeks KVR1 does not really give it any insulation. The outerskin is there to protect the waterproof core of the suit and since water can flow relatively freely between the layers that outer shell layer of kevlar does not offer much thermal protection if any at all.

I dive a Fusion Bullet with the the full neoprene skin and it offers little to no thermal protection. I dive regularly all year round, the water temp here is max 21C and minimum 3C-4C in winter.

If you mean Norway when you state Plura, then I would recommend the Aqualung Thermal Fusion undersuit. I have one and it is so warm that I have only used it a few times since owning it.

For most dives in my Fusion (temps typically between 8c to 15c) I use the following:
waist down: base layer of running tights or polypro/underarmor pants with a thermal layer of light/mid weight fleece pants
waist up: polypro/underarmor top with mid-weight fleece pullover top.
Wool or fleece sock...on really cold days both.

I also have an old LL-Bean cross-country ski suit that is basically loose fit micro-fleece lined running tights with an attached fleece vest. I wear a poly pro shirt under it, with a midweight fleece pullover over it. It gets the job done well. If I need more warmth on my legs I can add the fleece pants over them or waffle pattern polypro under them:
e1bdda992773bff62a078c0c2e02f820--stirrup-pants-ll-bean.jpg

_MG_1074logo.jpg

-Z

for 15c, layering the mk0 and mk1 is enough for me. generic fleece would work fine also

weezle extreme is plenty warm and usually cheaper than the thermal fusion

A 200g undersuit would be the minimum I’d go with... especially freshwater with steel doubles...

I generally change out to a 400g around 6C

_R

Don't bother with fancy (under armour) synthetic materials as baselayers as others have commented. On a mountain and when diving, it doesn't keep as warm when wet like wool if there was a suit leak.

Wool (merino) is best as a diving baselayer - also doesn't stink.

Then I would recommend a Santi BZ400 (I'm comfortable down to 4C for an hour).

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I'll look into the aqualung thermal and MKO/1.

I live in South Africa so availability of everything is limited (as we pay 55% textile import taxes)
So don't think I'll get my hands on Weezle. Will try very hard for SANTI!

for 15c, layering the mk0 and mk1 is enough for me. generic fleece would work fine also

weezle extreme is plenty warm and usually cheaper than the thermal fusion
Did you mean MK2 rather than MK1? At least in the US, MK1 has been discontinued for years, and was fairly thin.

no, i have the mk1 and use it when el nino hits. yes it is a fairly thin fleece layer. i usually run an exotherm 3 and rarely use my thermal fusion.

no, i have the mk1 and use it when el nino hits. yes it is a fairly thin fleece layer. i usually run an exotherm 3 and rarely use my thermal fusion.
Okay, then add the MK2 to the conversation. I describe it as "midweight." Definitely for cold water, and can add layering under it, but not for the "crazy cold" use of the Thermal Fusion, which replaced the MK3.

i tried the mk2 before but i would not recommend it. just didn't feel the warmth vs bulk was as good vs competing products from waterproof or 4th element

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom