Good tank size for Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaredWaites

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm about to go get my nitrox cert. I've been noticing an 80 is enough to keep you from going into deco, but 100 seems I would have extra air. But diving with nitrox, it will differ due to the fact that I'm going to have more bottom time, meaning I'll be able to consume more gas. So a larger volume tank only makes sense for the use of Nitrox.

Should I go with a steel 100 or a steel 120?

I typically dive anywhere between 80-130 ft here in NW FL.

- Jared

i'd go with the largest one i can handle ...

right now i dive 108's and that's about as big as i think i can go. they are a dream underwater, but man ... talk about a pain in the back topside

I'm about to go get my nitrox cert. I've been noticing an 80 is enough to keep you from going into deco, but 100 seems I would have extra air. But diving with nitrox, it will differ due to the fact that I'm going to have more bottom time, meaning I'll be able to consume more gas. So a larger volume tank only makes sense for the use of Nitrox.

Should I go with a steel 100 or a steel 120?

I typically dive anywhere between 80-130 ft here in NW FL.

- Jared

i don't agree with your conclusion that more than 80cf would not make sense when diving air. if nothing else it gives you a margin of safety. as far as a 100 vs a 120 you have to consider what you are willing and able to schlepp. furthermore, the trim characteristics are different. for some, a 120 is too long. how tall are you?

Can you rent or borrow different types? We were using 120's with nitrox, and had more gas than bottom time. 80's were low on gas with plenty of bottom time left. Our final pick was 100's. Your results may differ.

I was using an LP-95 for a while, and sold it. Overfilled, it was quite a lot of gas. That thing was like having a barrel of beer on my back. It seemed it would be good, but not for me. Try as many as you can.

All personal preference... Also, you need to consider what your regular buddies use. I dive with 119's. They are great for the longer nitrox dives. If I am doing shallow air dives, I can usually get 2 dives on 1 fill.

I'm 5' 10". I'm thinking of going with a 108 steel. Since my buddies dive 100's.

i don't agree with your conclusion that more than 80cf would not make sense when diving air. if nothing else it gives you a margin of safety. as far as a 100 vs a 120 you have to consider what you are willing and able to schlepp. furthermore, the trim characteristics are different. for some, a 120 is too long. how tall are you?

What I meant was exactly how you stated it. Its merely a safety margin. But in shallow dives they are great...but I'm diving 120 feet and hunting...so I suck up a lot of gas quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom