Good quality regualtors???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mozzy105

Reaction score
I've gone on about 30 dives and now I am really going to start getting into the sport and buy my own equipment since I am going on about 60-70 this summer. What are some good quality regualtors in the $250-$300 range? I have been thinking about a Mares MR22 Abyss or Scubapro MK16/S550. Also, do you know anyting about those companies' customer service and warranties?

If you do a search on the board, or just visit the regulator section, you will find a lot of information on both regulators, and both companies. Personally, I went with the scubapro MK25/G250HP setup and am very happy with my choice. You will probably hear more votes for going with scubapro than Mares. You might want to check out Apeks as well, though I don't know what kind of setup you can get with your price range. Good luck!

You can buy an Apeks ATX50 + ATX40 DS4 for about $425, and about $10 less with DST.

ScubaPro and Apeks are usually everyone's top picks. I have a bunch of ScubaPro regs and they are all great. The S550 is good, but I would get something with an adjustement knob such as a G250HP or S600. The Mk16 or Mk25 are good 1st stage choices. Everyone seems to like the Apeks DS4 1st stages.

Scubapro has a tradition of providing parts, service and upgrades for it's regs for decades. Mares has not done so in the past and Aqualung has been good with parts support but has not offerred upgrades to it's older regs so I assume the same will be true with Apeks. Buy an SP reg and you won't have to buy another for a long time.

I agree you may want to get a reg with an adjustment knob. I'd go with a G250 or X650 over the S600 though.

DA Aquamaster:
I agree you may want to get a reg with an adjustment knob. I'd go with a G250 or X650 over the S600 though.

Why not the S600 - I thought the internals for the G250 and S600 were basically the same (same parts kit, right?), just a larger profile on the G250?

Haven't actually used either one - but curious to know your recommendation...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom