Good Price for an AL100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
What's a good price to pay for a 5yr old (Luxfer?) AL100 with a fresh VIP and Hydro? My buddy is looking at buying it out of the rental fleet from a LDS.

mempilot:
What's a good price to pay for a 5yr old (Luxfer?) AL100 with a fresh VIP and Hydro? My buddy is looking at buying it out of the rental fleet from a LDS.

IMHO $0.00
http://www.scubabomb.freeservers.com/
Check the metal content to see if it is the AL Alloy DOT has a safety notice out on. It is old enought to possibly be on the the last ones made of the alloy.

pasley:
IMHO $0.00
http://www.scubabomb.freeservers.com/
Check the metal content to see if it is the AL Alloy DOT has a safety notice out on. It is old enought to possibly be on the the last ones made of the alloy.

The problem with Luxfer AL tanks predates this tank. The tanks in question were 80 cf and smaller and manufactured in the mid-80's and earlier. The 100's haven't had this problem to my knowledge. This particular tank is exactly 5 years old putting it's manuf. date at February of 1999.

If I remember correctly I paid about $170 plus freight for my AL100's new, so between $110-$140 would probably be fair price, especially if everythings been brought up to date.

mempilot:
The problem with Luxfer AL tanks predates this tank. The tanks in question were 80 cf and smaller and manufactured in the mid-80's and earlier. The 100's haven't had this problem to my knowledge. This particular tank is exactly 5 years old putting it's manuf. date at February of 1999.

I agree with you that the date is out of the range when most of the tanks were mfg. I too am not aware of any tanks larger than S80, but I would not let that be my guiding light. The DOT site list any tank made of the alloy.

To quote from DOT: "United States manufacturers discontinued using aluminum alloy 6351-T6 in mid-1990, replacing it with aluminum alloy 6061-T6, which is not susceptible to SLC."

DOT goes on to say:
"Cylinders manufactured of aluminum alloy 6351-T6 prior to July 1990
include seamless aluminum cylinders marked ``DOT 3AL'', including those
marked with ``DOT 3AL'' above or near one of the following exemption or
special permit numbers: 6498, 7042, 8107, 8364, and 8422. In addition,
unless determined otherwise, affected individuals should assume that a
DOT 3AL or DOT-E 7235 cylinder manufactured outside the United States
is constructed of aluminum alloy 6351-T6."

Eric,

Check the prices for new tanks at the LDS here in South FLA first. Our prices seem to be much lower then prices in other areas of the country. I was looking for an AL 90 a while back to mate up with one I already had for my doubles. I looked through all the tanks on Ebay for several weeks trying to find one. I noticed that even the used AL 80's were going for nearly $120 and a couple of used AL 90's I found went for nearly $160. I could have bought two new AL 100's for only another $40 or $50 at several shops around here. I finally found a guy in Tampa that had the 90 I was looking for and I picked it up for $80 in hydo and VIP. IMO anything over $100 for a used AL tank is to much.

Back
Top Bottom