Good place for snorkeling in SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catalina Island... Lover's Cove, Hamilton Cove or the Dive Park. If you have your own boat there are LOTS of locations to snorkel on the leeward (calmer) side especially.

Dr Bill called it for Catalina, A little further to the north (west) out of Ventura, I always liked the landing cove on Anacapa Island. It can get deep in spots but when water vis is good, wow. You can take the tour boat over and see the island when you are not snorkeling.

http://www.islandpackers.com/anacapa.html

La Jolla Cove was a wonderful snorkelling spot when I stayed in the San Diego area many summers ago. I hadn't planned to go snorkelling there, but when I saw so many people, young and old, enjoying themselves snorkelling around the Cove, I knew I had to join them. I went straight to the local dive store, bought a mask and a pair of fins, and headed in. I wasn't disappointed and I've snorkelled regularly in my own country ever since.

I live in La Jolla and would recommend the Cove as well. It can be a great spot but the vis is highly variable ranging from 0-25+ ft. and you won't want to go out here when there is swell in the area. La Jolla Shores is another choice. It's not as interesting as the Cove in terms bottom composition (just a sandy bottom) but you can spot sting rays, bat rays, halibut and during the right time of year HOARDS of leopard sharks that mate here. There are plenty of other good spots in La Jolla/San Diego but I would have to agree that if you can make it out to any of the SoCal islands that would be the best choice. I don't have experience with the Channel Islands but Catalina is ggggreat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom