Question Snorkeling in Maryland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Trilobite

Trilobite

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

Is anyone aware of any places in Maryland that are good for snorkeling – i.e. good visibility and critters to see? Would be interested in saltwater, brackish water, or freshwater.

Thanks,
Jim

Hello,

Is anyone aware of any places in Maryland that are good for snorkeling – i.e. good visibility and critters to see? Would be interested in saltwater, brackish water, or freshwater.

Thanks,
Jim
You might be able to find a quarry around here with life in it, getting permission is a different story. Some of the no longer open spots had tons of life in the shallow grasses. Hyde's (which is closed) had a ton of life.

You could try the shores of anywhere for salt / brackish, but I'm just not sure where you'd have "good viz". Out on the bay is about 4'.. 6' on a good day. Off Kent Island it's better viz, like maybe 10'. Horshoe crabs, blue crabs, and a rare fish (rare enough when it does happen it scares me). The nautilus (I think is what they're called) are smaller jellyfish. They look pretty neat. I've been in there when they're all around me. They pulsate and have some pretty colors.

I know there's Calvert Cliffs where you can muck through the clay for fossils. A few recent news stories about large megalodon teeth. Wouldn't call that life.. but an option.

A better bet (but not a sure thing) is either Maclerie Park or the railroad bridge in NJ. Tons of videos and lots of life up there. Depends on where in MD you are if that makes sense. They're much closer to the ocean, so nice fresh ocean water clears up the viz.

If you're dead set on MD, the closer you get to the mouth of the bay the clearer the water will be. Would have to be slack tide and the planets align, but you could make something work.

MD is not really known for its snorkeling. I have recently been told I might be the only one around here that likes rolling in the "cold mud"🤣🤣.

Why not a tank and diving vs snorkeling?

Thanks for the comments. Only interested in Maryland, and I don't dive.

Thanks for the comments. Only interested in Maryland, and I don't dive.
If it had to be MD and was snorkeling I think I'd give Eastern Bay off Kent island a shot. That's where I've seen the best viz.

Anywhere south would be ok when conditions are right.

Whenever you're ready to come to the dark side (diving) give me a shout.

@Philosopher King
I would be careful around the island snorkeling right now, just because of the jellies. We crab in the Eastern Bay about every weekend, and the jellyfish have been downright awful here the last couple weeks. Lots of stings just from reaching into the water to handle the floats.

@Philosopher King
I would be careful around the island snorkeling right now, just because of the jellies. We crab in the Eastern Bay about every weekend, and the jellyfish have been downright awful here the last couple weeks. Lots of stings just from reaching into the water to handle the floats.

@rob.mwpropane
Is there anywhere "good" to dive in Maryland right now? Low viz and muck are just fine with us, we just enjoy being in the water. We finally moved back into town and are settled, but when I lived here before, I was not yet a diver, so I don't know the spots.
Thanks for the tip. But your second question is kind of hijacking my thread, and is off topic in this forum (regional forum would be a better fit).

The nautilus (I think is what they're called) are smaller jellyfish. They look pretty neat. I've been in there when they're all around me. They pulsate and have some pretty colors.
This reply got me trying to figure out what jellyfish these are. Unless this is a local colloquialism, I can't find any references to a jellyfish called that, although in the Med there is Pelagia noctiluca. You wouldn't want those all around you, though, because they sting.

This reply got me trying to figure out what jellyfish these are. Unless this is a local colloquialism, I can't find any references to a jellyfish called that, although in the Med there is Pelagia noctiluca. You wouldn't want those all around you, though, because they sting.
Well... I'm not a marine biologist. So I'm probably butchering it. Maybe it's nettles? Sea nettles? Looks like it.

If it had to be MD and was snorkeling I think I'd give Eastern Bay off Kent island a shot. That's where I've seen the best viz.

Anywhere south would be ok when conditions are right.
I may be checking out places next week during what look to be the last warm days of the year. Is there any place or places in particular around Kent Island that you had in mind?

Back
Top Bottom