Good offen for Apeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coldwater Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going for TDI tec diving courses this year and I'm looking for a new regulator set.
My local dealer advised to buy a ds4/atx40 Set for doubles for 630 Euro incl. Fini, hoses, boltsnaps and bag. Those regs would fit also for tec diving. I'm familar with the DS4 First stage and there are some pros and cons compared to other Apeks first stages. They are small and light in weight which is good for travelling but the routing is not trat good like with DST or FST/FSR.
But what about the second stage?

How is the performance of it when it comes to deep and cold diving betreten 40-60 meters? Is it also a good reg for diving in overhead environmemts like caves, mines or wrecks?
Is it a good choice or should I go for XTX 50 with DS4 or DST?

Thank you for your support.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm going for TDI tec diving courses this year and I'm looking for a new regulator set.
My local dealer advised to buy a ds4/atx40 Set for doubles. Those regs would fit also for tec diving. I'm familar with the DS4 First stage and there are some pros and cons compared to other Apeks first stages. They are small and light in weight which is good for travelling but the routing is not trat good like with DST or FST/FSR.
But what about the second stage?
How is the performance of it when it comes to deep and cold diving betreten 40-60 meters? Is it also a good reg for diving in overhead environmemts like caves, mines or wrecks?
Is it a good choice or should I go for XTX 50 with DS4 or DST?

Thank you for your support.
The only thing the 40 lacks that the 50 and higher have is the user adjustment. I have 40's and 50's and can detect no difference in breatheability.

DS4 and DST - I also have both - are as you describe - different routings, but DS4 DST is smaller / lighter.

I would buy a 50 / DST personally. But I don't do doubles. 50 regardless.

Last edited:
Ok, but could you explain it a bit more in detail?
What makes the XTX 50 a better 2nd stage compared to ATX 40?
I was ready to buy a set of DSTs with 5 LP ports, but actually i'm insecured if I have that much advantages from DST/XTX combo which will explain resp. compensate the difference in price (approx. 200 Euro more for DSTs).

The 50 has a breathing effort adjustment lever in addition to the venture adjustment. The first stage in the XTX50 has a rotating turret with 2 HP and 4 LP ports and you can add a fifth LP port where the ATX40 has on 4 LP ports and 1 HP port. Over all the first stage in the XTX50 is a more versatile first stage with better and easier hose routing for doubles.

Overall, for technical, or even advanced recreational, diving, I'd would consider the XTX50 only and not the ATX40.

Having owned all three generations of Apeks (TX, ATX, XTX) I would say that the ATX series is fine and the adjustment is a minor convenience that I never missed in years of diving a TX40 set. However the ATX does have a smaller exhaust tee than the TX and the XTX comes with the option of a wider tee, so with the ATX you do tend to get bubbles in the face when exhaling in anything other than a horizontal face forward position. Not a biggie but worth mentioning.

DS4 + ATX40 is good enough for cold water tec dive.
I have not found any improvement on breathing from changing 40 to 50. They breath the same. As for the adjusting screw, it is convenience to use but not important. If you find the respective part, pretty easy to swap over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom