Good NJ lake dive on TV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone dive Round Valley Reservoir NJ? I just saw it on TV and it looked incredibly clear. The web site said they allow scuba (with a proper inflatable vest). Its 180 feet deep and has a bunch of trout and eels (they say). It also has campsites. Looks neat.

I just read the lake has visibility to 40' and huge fish.

The best viz I've had there was about 20'. That's just off Scuba area #1 - the only shore entry they allow. Depth requires a boat and I'm not sure how eager the rangers are to approve that. I've seen fish in there, but nothing real huge. I may have been there the wrong time of year, though. Eels? Haven't seen those.

ive heard the same thing... the rangers are a pita and really only like you to dive near the student platforms. i havent dived there but would like to give it a shot. off a boat would be best... keep in mind they only allow 9hp motors there. do a search on this forum... there a re a few good threads on the subject, including one that has a link to a good trip report by saturation that is/was on the old rodales message board.

Dive-aholic:
The best viz I've had there was about 20'. That's just off Scuba area #1 - the only shore entry they allow. Depth requires a boat and I'm not sure how eager the rangers are to approve that. I've seen fish in there, but nothing real huge. I may have been there the wrong time of year, though. Eels? Haven't seen those.

That has been exactly my diving experience there too. Good, cheap, lovely park to try out new gear or get wet after the long winter if you don't have access to a pool. Other than a few curious fish I saw beer cans, fishing lures, and other assorted picnic trash. I do suggest hiking or mountain biking there. Nice place to bring your non-diving friends and family along as they also have a swimming area and playgrounds. The rangers are always nice to me, if I even see any. I do bet that a motor boat and scuba gear combined would attract more "attention" though.:wink:

I just saw a report on the news that Round Valley is experiencing some very low levels now and they are thinking about diving for some 10+ bodies missing in the reservoir over the last 20 years. The water level is about 20-30 feet lower than usual and that means 140/150 ft dives instead of 170/180 ft dives and that makes it a bit easier for searching. The bottom is also more silty than Dutch and ofcourse colder (at 180ft) but the visibility has always been 50+ whenever I have been there. The last time I chased a fishing lure that I spotted from over 40 feet away. I didn't realize it was a lure until I got closer and saw the fishing line attached to some guy on shore, lol! If anyone wants to dive it this summer, PM me. I will however only dive the shallower scuba entry area. Always good to get wet! BTW, I think I have the only review of Round Valley on shorediving.com and more specific info on the park itself and links can be had there.

Hi all, I am one of Jersey's Ranger's and have worked there over summer's, maybe again this year. Anyway, if you and obey rules you should not have any problems. If you have any questions you can always call the park and ask to speak to a ranger, they will call you back when they can. Weekday's are always better in general, weekends can be quite busy. Nope, even being cert. I have not been in the water there. I just fine most area's like this are good for a nice scuba swim. Maybe this year I will jump in there. Any questions, either PM me or you can contact me @ Jenny Jump State Forest, just ask for Ranger Rich(908)459-0537

hey ranger rich... thanks for posting.

a lot of us are interested in diving at round valley.
problem is we'd like to dive outside the park rules.

from what i remember the rules are very limiting.

i know most of us would like to venture further out into the lake.
maybe find some of the old building foundations or maybe recover
something from one of the deeper crevaces.

is boat traffic the issue or safety in general? something else maybe?

XJae, what you're talking about isn't outside the rules. The rules for diving Round Valley are pretty basic. You need a buddy, a dive flag, a bcd, and some other odds and ends of equipment. The rules don't mention anything else. The rangers just don't like it when divers come there in boats. I think it's because if there's a problem, it's more difficult to deal with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom