Good news for Norris owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jibeho

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been going back and forth with both Norris and DOT SP division. I still don't understand what all this means but I take is as good news.

I just received this e-mail from DOT this morning.

Hi Hank,
Good news, Norris came in to renew and we are putting a rush on it. It should have been issued as a manufacture, mark and sell, we are making that correction in the renewal so there is no reason to get party status. You can test and refill the cylinders (once the special permit is renewed) as provided in paragraph 8.
I hope this helps.

Jibeho:
I have been going back and forth with both Norris and DOT SP division. I still don't understand what all this means but I take is as good news.

I just received this e-mail from DOT this morning.

Hi Hank,
Good news, Norris came in to renew and we are putting a rush on it. It should have been issued as a manufacture, mark and sell, we are making that correction in the renewal so there is no reason to get party status. You can test and refill the cylinders (once the special permit is renewed) as provided in paragraph 8.
I hope this helps.

Now if you can get the dive shop to go along.

The new exemption should be on the DOT website in a day or two, so it will be possible to get it without going to Norris by going to http://hazmat.dot.gov/sp_app/approvals/exsys.htm

Apparently Norris had no intention of renewing it, since they are no longer making the tanks, and had to be talked into it by the DOT and pressure from tank owners. The old exemption was also not a proper one, being a "use" exemption, allowing the use of the tank, rather than a "mark and sell" which allows manufacture!

I also found out some more about the "use" exemptions, that would have been the alternative had Norris and the DOT not acted. It requires not only the tank owner to be party to the exemption, but also everyone who fills or tests that tank. The person I was talking to at the DOT said she really had to wonder why anyone would buy an exemption tank, considering how it puts you at the mercy of the tank manufacturer, who might vanish, or just decide not bother renewing as Norris almost did.

The DOT exemptions branch have been terrifically helpful on this and deserve a lot of credit.

Is this what we have to look forward to when Pressed Steel Tanks exemption expires?

captain:
Now if you can get the dive shop to go along.

Both of my LDS that have sold these tanks over the past year did not know anything about the expiration of the old exemption. They continued to fill my bottles no questions asked. I printed the renewal and gave each shop a copy the other day. I will also take a copy to the Key's in a few weeks.

royalediver:
Is this what we have to look forward to when Pressed Steel Tanks exemption expires?

I thought the "new" owners of PST were going to renew the exemption, but haven't followed the issue recently. Did things fall apart?

drbill:
I thought the "new" owners of PST were going to renew the exemption, but haven't followed the issue recently. Did things fall apart?

My understanding is they cannot re-new the exemption. The exemmption was to Pressed Steel Tank and not PST LLC. A new exemption must be applied for by the new company and the old exemption dies with Pressed Steel Tank Inc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom