Good masks for mustache?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am due for a new mask, as my prescription has changed.

I have a reasonable mustache and sometimes beard.

My current mask is an Oceanic Shadow, which has worked out relatively well with a mustache for the past 8 years or so.

Any reason to not just get another Shadow? Are there any newer masks that are noticeably better for 'staches?

I will go into the LDS to try on as many as I can, and to support them, of course. But if there's that one mask that all the mustachioed divers prefer, I'm listening.

I picked up Blue Reef B1 Frameless, which seems to be on permanent sale on LeisurePro. I did 6 or 8 dives with it this Summer and so far it hasn't leaked.

It fogged up pretty badly during the first couple of dives, but then I flamed it and it solved that issue.

I didn't like my Shadow, and use the HOG and a couple others.... To be honest, I just routinely shave the area under my nose a bit to make a good sealing surface.... folks know when I'm going or recently been diving.

YMMV

I have a deepsee mask and it works wonders. I have full beard and mustache and tbh haven’t found a mask that can’t seal with my face yet. I’ve been through 4 in about 3 years mostly freediving but the new one has 18 dives or so on it now. Only problems are when I smile or laugh.

... To be honest, I just routinely shave the area under my nose a bit to make a good sealing surface.... folks know when I'm going or recently been diving.

I do the same thing, just shaving about a millimeter or two right across the top edge of my moustache line. Yeah, some people notice, and I tell him "yeah... I was diving..." then they're jealous :wink:

I use the Atomic Venom frameless. I don't shave any part of my mustache or put anything in it to help it seal and the mask rarely leaks

FFM

I regularly apply moustache wax, diving on a weekly basis I do this every morning I dive, have not had issues with masks yet, I dive a Cressi low volume mask (not sure about the range) and at times the IST Pro Ear mask.

This.

Absolutely this. I have a Tusa Visio Tri-Ex that I use for a backup and during dive courses when I'm not allowed to use my FFM and it works fine. But with the FFM (Ocean Reef G. Diver) I don't have to worry about that at all. And best of all....no leaks and no fogging. Yes they're expensive, but they're worth it. And when you break it down into the terms of having to buy a mask and second stage reg, they're really not much more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom