Good location & techniques to get comfortable with drift diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Cozumel is a perfect place to learn drift diving. It's where I did my first couple of trips for drift diving.
Pemba Island, Africa has some great drift dives but they are a bit advanced. I was there over in the fall ( we hit four seasons by crossing the equator in summer and fall) and with a full moon. Crazy drift diving, the " Madagascar express" they called one of our afternoon dives.

I echo West Palm and Jupiter, the current is pretty reliable and if you're the kind who likes to "prepare", it may be a lower-cost alternative to the Caribbean, if you happen to be in Florida. You can get more "comfort" with drift-diving without a complete cashectomy, albeit without the island-resort scene, but plenty to do ashore.

Big generalization, but anyway: WPB is more family and beginner/intermediate friendly, Jupiter more spearfishing, deeper, "adult swim" for intermediate and upwards.

Jupiter off the east coast of Florida is great for getting adjusted to the concept of drift diving without being "carried away". Also there are a bunch of really nice river dive options, if you're inclined to try something a little lower viz or cold(er). May be easier to get to for you from Boston, flying into FLL and certainly presents a lot more options for "non-diving" should you find that you can't get comfortable with the drift.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom