Good IDC for getting PADI OWSI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. This thread was entertaining, in a sort of watching-a-train-wreck kind of way.

Was this post real, or was he pulling our leg? It's not quite April 1st yet.

You are completely right medical school does not require a science degree...i think everyone knows that. My point was, and i guess I should have expressed my sarcasm better, was that all the things you mentioned as prerequisites are the typical biology, chemistry, and those other pre med degrees. That was my point...those are a lot of courses to get into medical school. Reputable medical school have them as PRErequisites, not within 5 years or indefinitely...

Ah, sorry, if there was any sarcasm then it was definitely poorly stated and wasn't noticed. Most people seem extremely ignorant of everything about physicians, from salary to how to become one, so I didn't assume that you were being sarcastic since there was no indication thereof.

If your point was simply to say there's a lot of courses to get into med school, that's a pretty inane and pointless statement; I don't see why you'd take the time to post that...it certainly doesn't contribute anything. I would have figured at least that would have been well understood by most people.

I've done enough research on the topic of health care to know that the environment is just too toxic, both compensation-wise and legally, for someone to go 200,000 dollars into debt to become a physician. If I have a science degree, I am more than prepared to apply to medical school at any time in my life, but I highly doubt I will since I love helping people but I refuse to do it for free as a career. Especially if I have to go into that much debt to do so. I think volunteering is great but most people do it on the side a few hours a week, so that's different.

Most people seem extremely ignorant of everything about physicians, from salary to how to become one, so I didn't assume that you were being sarcastic since there was no indication thereof.

I hope you are learning about running a dive shop and working as a scuba instructor here from these folks better than you have learned about health care and being a physician. Again, being a physician is not volunteering. It is not working for free. And it costs alot less to become a doctor than to open a dive shop.

Let us know where you set up shop, and we'll go and dive with you.

If your point was simply to say there's a lot of courses to get into med school, that's a pretty inane and pointless statement; I don't see why you'd take the time to post that...it certainly doesn't contribute anything. I would have figured at least that would have been well understood by most people.

I am sorry didn't you post the list of classes on here?

You are so going to be working at McDonald's. :eat:

I am sorry didn't you post the list of classes on here?

You are so going to be working at McDonald's. :eat:

...you made it look like you asked me a question. I responded. Jesus, and you're a paramedic? If you can't understand someone wanting to help another person out, then you might as well just tear that patch off your shoulder, you don't deserve it...wow. I wonder if it's jackasses like you who contribute to the reasons EMS workers are paid so little; unprofessional comes to mind. And here I thought there were actually mature people on Scuba Board who were worth talking to. Silly me, I should have known better.

I hope you are learning about running a dive shop and working as a scuba instructor here from these folks better than you have learned about health care and being a physician. Again, being a physician is not volunteering. It is not working for free. And it costs alot less to become a doctor than to open a dive shop.

Let us know where you set up shop, and we'll go and dive with you.

Trust me, that won't happen. I'll dive with children but not when they're in their 20s if not older. I'm done here, 'cause I also don't see a reason in talking to children who are 20+ either. Granted, there's some mature, intelligent people on here who make some good posts, but I'm not a garbage man so I don't feel like sifting through a bunch of trash to get to those posts.

emttim,

I would recommend the following if you want to eventually own/operate a dive shop:

1. Go ahead and work towards your OWSI. Many people here will say wait "X" number years before becoming an instructor. Simply put, some people will still be crappy instructors after "X" number of years, and others will be fantastic instructor with the bare minimum experience. You won't know until you become an instructor.

2. While you are working on your MBA, try to get a part-time gig as an instructor. Your goal is to gain teaching experience, make enough money to cover dues and insurance, and learn the inner workings of a dive shop.

3. Either combined with #2 or as a next step, try to become a shop manager for more experience. My causal observations have seen how far connections in the dive industry can take a shop.

4. Pray for the market to come back. The '90s were a boom for the dive industry since people had more disposable income. Well established dive shops are closing on a regular basis due to economics of the business now.

[QUOTE="emttim]Granted, there's some mature, intelligent people on here who make some good posts, but I'm not a garbage man so I don't feel like sifting through a bunch of trash to get to those posts.[/QUOTE]

That is not the best attitude if you are going to run a business in future. You will have to sort through a lot of trash dealing with customers and students on a regular basis and put up with a lot of crap. Same with any customer service oriented job. Get used to it :) Hopefully you will have more than enough great customers to make it worthwhile for you.

The Maccas comment was a bit harsh towards you, but it again comes down to how you come across on the net. You've said you've had problems with other forums, with people thinking you are arrogant - look into that and work on coming across better in various mediums if you want sensible advice from people. You are going to have to talk to many people via email, etc running a business and if you can't stop yourself sounding arrogantl you won't get very far. I don't think two wrongs make a right though so I don't think personal attacks against you are warranted.

Since alot of other people have went off topic, I think I will too........I like pie. Not all pies mind you, but most pies in general. Some pies I like more than others.:D
tension breaker, had to be done!:rofl3:

I volunteer as a paramedic, thanks. And I think people are giving you a hard time because you came on the board like this. Hi I am great and I am going to do everything and be every profession ok what do I need to do in the scuba profession to be the best immediately? So you are just getting back the attitude that sort of went with your OP.

And I could care less how intelligent you think I am. I am not the one on here asking all the questions with attitude.

I like key lime pie.

My favorite pie is blueberry, with cream frosting.

Stepped on cowpies a couple times, it sure stinks...

Bubbles are going up, but this thread is sure going down....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom