Good IDC for getting PADI OWSI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaboard is a great resource, especially if you intend to go pro. My advice to you, Tim, from an immature 44 year old, is to do the following:

1. Get rid of your name. You don't want folks to laugh at you when you dive with them.
2. Don't put UC Davis class of 2010, if you have not been accepted into the program yet.
3. Update your profile, so folks don't make fun of your goals and aspirations.
4. Enroll in anger control class - it is the best class you can take before opening your shop.
5. Don't put the flamers on your ignore list, they often are the best resources on scubaboard.

Scubaboard is a great resource, especially if you intend to go pro. My advice to you, Tim, from an immature 44 year old, is to do the following:

1. Get rid of your name. You don't want folks to laugh at you when you dive with them.
2. Don't put UC Davis class of 2010, if you have not been accepted into the program yet.
3. Update your profile, so folks don't make fun of your goals and aspirations.
4. Enroll in anger control class - it is the best class you can take before opening your shop.
5. Don't put the flamers on your ignore list, they often are the best resources on scubaboard.

Hehe nice post.
1. I was just thinking that in relation to this thread. I am nervous asking questions now as it is hard to post on a board with tonnes and tonnes of experienced divers, as people come down heavily on those that ask stupid questions from what I have read. I guess the attitude of the OP makes a big difference to how people respond though...

2. Agreed

3. This is a bit harsh. I think people shouldn't be put down if they have goals, even if they are unrealistic. People will learn in time what they can and can't do and having people rub failure in your face is never a nice thing. Again, when you have an attitude with your goal, it is understandable why people would mock you for it.

4. Also a class on people skills. You need to come across well online as well as IRL if you want to run a business well! Successful business people are not limited to face to face meetings only to sell their stuff...

5. True. Sometimes people need to be told in stern words if they are about to do something stupid. But again I think this can be done without personal insults.

Also enable your private messaging so we can flame you secretly, so that it won't be embrassing...no but seriously, you need to enable private messaging so we can talk in private.

Hey, Don!
That's me standing next to Arch in the back row. I was Blue team #1 from Divers Den in St Mary's, GA. Best of luck! I'm at 20 certs already!(including Nitrox).

Jay Hodge
Diversdengeorgia.com

So I plan to go all the way up the ladder to PADI Course Director for when I open my dive shop, just so I can offer a full range of classes without having a crapload of employees to start, and I actually can only go up to Assistant Instructor with my instructor I go through now. He's independent, not affiliated with any dive shop, and he said "no" when I asked him if there were any IDCs in the area such as the dive shops that he would recommend taking the OWSI course through. So my question is, where can I take the OWSI course and get a good education? I'll probably be an Assistant Instructor when I take it, not a DM, so will the course be shorter/cheaper or will it be a better idea to go straight from DM to OWSI? Thanks for your input guys!

Tim...it is good that you have goals. They are long term and it sounds like you have a plan in place. However, remember why you dive in the first place...because it is fun. Have some fun diving for a while! Also, enjoy your time in college. It may sound crazy but looking back, college was one of the best times of my life. Why are you in a rush to finish?

If you want to own a dive center, I recommend you work in one. I also recommend getting experience working in specialty retail business in general. Work in the travel business too. If you are planning on getting your MBA, specialize in small business or retail. I am a LDS owner, so I speak with a little experience on the subject.

Once you complete divemaster, talk to several course directors and find out what the best track to instructor is right for you. There is no right way to do it. It is different for everyone.

As many of us have stated, the road to OWSI isn't cheap, and there is no financial aid. Once you are an instructor, you will need to be certified for at least 2 years before applying to be Master Instructor. Applying to Course Director training is very competitive and MIs that are accepted are typically dive store owners, or work full time in a PADI IDC 5 star center or resort.

I wish you the best of luck with your goals and your future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom