Good fins for petite woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with mares avantis, then went to the atomic splits (absolutely loved them and very powerful with my scissor kick). Then tried apollo bio-fins because they're negative and I shoot a lot of supermacro and just switched to force fin pros. On my last trip I took the atomics with me and wished I had my force fins with me instead.

Try different types (if possible) as getting the right fin with the right fit for you foot and kicking style makes all the difference!!

I'm 5'6" and wear a women's 8 shoe.

This thread caught my eye as I am in the market for new fins. Right now I have Mares Volos which are my first and only pair of fins. What bothers me most about them is their floaty-ness. Also, I've been trying to teach myself to reverse frog so am looking for fins that will faciliatate this. I can sloooooowly reverse frog in the volos but not with any force.

Am considering the Dive Rite EXP or the Hollis F2. Are either of these two neutrally buoyant? Light enough for travel?

5'4" 120 lbs, size 6-7 shoe size, prefer frog kicking, wear Tusa short bootie.

This thread caught my eye as I am in the market for new fins. Right now I have Mares Volos which are my first and only pair of fins. What bothers me most about them is their floaty-ness. Also, I've been trying to teach myself to reverse frog so am looking for fins that will faciliatate this. I can sloooooowly reverse frog in the volos but not with any force.

Am considering the Dive Rite EXP or the Hollis F2. Are either of these two neutrally buoyant? Light enough for travel?

5'4" 120 lbs, size 6-7 shoe size, prefer frog kicking, wear Tusa short bootie.

I bought the F2s and what a saga it's turning into, I digress, the foot pocket on the F2s is huge, the spring is 29cm and way too long even on the shortest setting for anyone who actually has small feet. I'm a size 6.5 and wearing 5mm boots the F2s are too big. Hollis have been talking about a 26" spring for the F2s but that talk has been going on a while so wouldn't count on that happening any time soon. It's a shame because I think for warm water and/or smaller divers they would be ideal. Hopefully one day I'll get to give mine some real use. Good luck.

PS yes the F2s are neutrally buoyant, very light, and short so pack well. If you have floaty feet the F2s would likely not be a good choice.

Thanks for the reply. We wear the same shoe size so it sounds like the F2 are out. I also read some threads on OMS slipstreams and suspect that they may be too large as well. Makes me wonder what junior divers use.

I went between a 6.5 and a 7 women's shoe (37 European) and the EXPs suit me very well in dry suit shoes or Turbosoles. My feet rattle a little in them with just wetsuit booties, but they're still usable.

The Dive Rite website doesn't give the length for the small size; do they fit in a carry-on?

Thanks, Claudia

I don't dive locally cause I don't like cold water (I just like the straps cold water fins have). I do go to other places around the world like I'm planning to go to the Phillipines and Malaysia.
So by cold water fin, you mean open heel fin? If you are traveling, I think weight is an important consideration, since there are plenty of lighter fins that will work as well as heavier fins (as long as you're not trying to compensate for floaty feet. That would tend to rule out jets, twin jets and many splits, and other heavy rubbery fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom