Good economical reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA:
Everyone will try to sell you what they carry. Some of the best
brands of regullators can't be sold over the Internet/phone/mail
or by anyone but an authorized dealer. Scuba Toys is an
above-board outfit and doesn't sell backchannel/grey market stuff
but that really limits what they can offer.

Thanks for the kind words... but really in that price range - I was giving a solid suggestion. About the only thing we can't sell is ScubaPro - but since he was just looking to buy their least expensive - un balanced reg - I thought the Aeris would be a nice step up for about the same money. But we also carry Poseidon, Atomic, Mares, Dacor, Sherwood, Genesis... So It's not really I was just selling him what we carry... 'cause we darn near carry it all. I've just been pretty impressed with the Aeris Reg setups - after personally touring the production facility in Oakland and taking them out on some dives....

but want an Atomic B2 instead... Love to sell it... But not really in the same price range.

LOL! Thanks Larry. I have been doing some research and requesting info from those with experience using these regulators. This board is a great resource.

One of my concerns with the Aeris is availability of service centers, and it does not have a lot of history so there is less information about it. I will call you today to discuss options and hopefully make a final decision.

rlowe:
LOL! Thanks Larry. I have been doing some research and requesting info from those with experience using these regulators. This board is a great resource.

One of my concerns with the Aeris is availability of service centers, and it does not have a lot of history so there is less information about it. I will call you today to discuss options and hopefully make a final decision.
Let us know about your final decision.
You know, just out of curiousitiy :wink:
Oren

I have this reg and dive in cold water (48F and higher). My experience so far has been very good - for what its worth (its my first ever reg).

rlowe:
I talked with Larry at Scuba Toys and he recommended the Aeris Sport.

So here is what I orderd:

Mares V16/Proton
Zeagle Escape BC
Aeris 3 guage console

All I need is weights, suit and air and I am good to go. I am not sure what my preference will be for exposure local diving in Austin, so I think I will rent till I figure that out.

Larry at Scuba Toys was great help and took the time to explain my options for the price points I was looking at. Scuba Toys has great prices and ships almost immediately. Too bad I waited till the Fri before a holiday :) I could have been diving this weekend since I am just down the street in Austin.

rlowe:
I have been looking at the SP MK2/R190. What are some regs that compete with that model and price point?

R.

I assume by your initial choice you have determined what kind of diving you are going to be doing. I looked at some comparative tests of some inexpensive regs and found an excellent article under www.divernet.com, equipment, group tests, "take a cheap breath". Based upon experience, information..I chose the Oceanic SP4 Alfa 7. I think I paid $124 for the reg complete. I also have a Atomic B1 with DIN First Stage. The oceanic is quite comparable at all most a quarter of the cost. It is simple, easy to service and it breathing is effortless. The First Stage is unbalanced, but that will make no difference in pressures above 500psi, below you should be damn near the surface anyway.

Christian

A.G.Pennypacker:
I assume by your initial choice you have determined what kind of diving you are going to be doing.

I was looking at a good entry level reg. I liked the SP name but after some research and advice from those with more experience with equip I started looking at the areis and mares regs.

R.

rlowe:
I was looking at a good entry level reg. I liked the SP name but after some research and advice from those with more experience with equip I started looking at the areis and mares regs.

R.
Excellent choice,
You will have longlasting joy with this gear and it is good enough so you will not have to change it as your diving needs develope.
Oren

rlowe:
I have been looking at the SP MK2/R190. What are some regs that compete with that model and price point?

R.
I got the Dive Rite RG 2000 (RG 1205 Balanced 1st stage & RG 2010 Balanced 2nd stage w/ adj knob for inhalation effort) I aslo bought another RG 2010 and use that as my octo and just put on a yellow cover ($2.00 extra).
I must say for the price and quality it's super, it comes with a lifetime warranty as long as you get it serviced every 2 years or 100 dives. It also comes with a 300 -bar DIN connector and yoke adapter. You can also get any parts for it online and rebuild kit along with manual on how to do it. I paid $537.60 (before tax) from my LDS I think you would be hard pressed to find any reg like this that you can get parts online for it. I hope this helps.
Ed

I bought the Aeris Atmos Sport from Scuba Toys. I haven't had a chance take it in cold water below 49 degrees yet but I did have it at 104 ft depth this past week in Grand Caymen. I loved it. It breathed very well as we manuevered in and out of Big Holes. I am planning on getting drysuit trained in the next month and will get it into some colder water hopefully soon. I will post again when I get some more experience with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom