Good economical reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlowe:
I have been looking at the SP MK2/R190. What are some regs that compete with that model and price point?

R.

The Aqualung "Titan". Ballanced diaphram 1st and
unballanced 2nd. regular price (So Cal) from authorized local
dealers in just under $200. Now on sale in a few local shops for
$150. These are widely used as rentals because of thier
duribility and they breath decently

rlowe:
I have been looking at the SP MK2/R190. What are some regs that compete with that model and price point?

R.

What kind of price are you looking at for that setup?

Are you wanting to buy from an LDS, or are you looking around online as well?

The mk2/R190 is dependable, but it's the kind of reg that I believe you'll probably dump later on for something that breathes better.

rlowe:

R.
How economical could be equipment that keeps you alive?
If you don't buy a high end reg, it's ok. There are many decent regs out there that don't cost the world.
I wouldn't suggest though buying a low end reg even if it is a Scubapro, which are generally good regs.
Mares is making very decent regs and I heared that you can buy a Mares V16/Proton at Scubatoys.com for $198, which is very reasonable for such a high quality reg.
If you want to go little cheaper, you'll find the Mares MR12 Axis for $134, which is IMHO still better than the Scubapro.
In the end, you will have to dive with this reg, that why I would recommend renting the regs,testing them and buying the one you'll find most appealing.

If you buy regulators from a reputable company then even their low end models are safe and perform well. I bought a dive shop special Conshelf 21 once and the instructor almost made it feel like the thing was going to kill me. It never did and was a decent regulator.

If you dive warm water, shallow depths, and don't do strenuous diving a low end reg is ok. If you dive cold, go deep, or do some sort of work underwater, buy a more expensive reg because you will need the breathing performance.

What is the dive store asking for the Scuba Pro? Check around and see what other stores and the internet are offering in the same price range.

Thanks for the responses!

I have a related question that might help my decision. What is considered 'cold' water? I am planning a trip to San Diego in August and I think there temps are around 60 F.

I talked with Larry at Scuba Toys and he recommended the Aeris Sport. I did not get much detail on the regulator from him as it was via email.

Here we're waiting for water to "warm up" to 60F.! I would concider anything below 50F. to be cold water and require a suitable regulator.

Freeze-ups can be the result of several factors, water temps. being just one of them, but I don't think I've heard of anyone having a freeze-up in water above the fifties.

I'd be glad to hear anyone else's thoughts on this. Also ChrisA suggested a Titan reg. which is really a durable, easy to service, and nice breathing reg for the money. It can be had with a sealed/cold water first stage, and a cold water (Glacia) second.
-----------------------
D.C.C.

aquaoren:
Mares is making very decent regs and I heared that you can buy a Mares V16/Proton at Scubatoys.com for $198, which is very reasonable for such a high quality reg.

I second this recommendation. Our Mares regs have never given us problems (abyss, proton ice, mr12 axis)...

You'll be hard pressed to find a better setup for ~$200. I'll mention also that orders I have placed with scubatoys have always shipped same day and arrive at my house the next day (ground shipping - 200 miles away - gotta pay tax though). No 3-4 day wait for them to put stuff in boxes. I've even ordered as late as 4 and had them ship by 6. Order it today and you can dive it Saturday.

EDIT: If you think you might go the Mares route, it's worth calling some of the Austin Mares shops to see if they'll match the price. Try Oak Hill Scuba (www.oakhillscuba.com)

rlowe:
Thanks for the responses!

I have a related question that might help my decision. What is considered 'cold' water? I am planning a trip to San Diego in August and I think there temps are around 60 F.

I talked with Larry at Scuba Toys and he recommended the Aeris Sport. I did not get much detail on the regulator from him as it was via email.

The water water here in So. Cal. is "chilly", not "cold"
"Cold" means there is
possibility of the reg freezing. The temps here don't go below
the low 50's. and in summer it's mid 50's to low 60's mostly.
So technically it's not "cold" but without a good suit you will
get cold. even in summer.

Everyone will try to sell you what they carry. Some of the best
brands of regullators can't be sold over the Internet/phone/mail
or by anyone but an authorized dealer. Scuba Toys is an
above-board outfit and doesn't sell backchannel/grey market stuff
but that really limits what they can offer.

I'd say, pick a shop first then pick a reg. that they can back
with service and suport. I have this vision of buying a regulator
off the net and then taking it in for it's first anual service and the
local tech says "I've never seen one of these but I'll give it
a go and see what happens, "

ams511:
If you buy regulators from a reputable company then even their low end models are safe and perform well. I bought a dive shop special Conshelf 21 once and the instructor almost made it feel like the thing was going to kill me. It never did and was a decent regulator.

If you dive warm water, shallow depths, and don't do strenuous diving a low end reg is ok. If you dive cold, go deep, or do some sort of work underwater, buy a more expensive reg because you will need the breathing performance.

What is the dive store asking for the Scuba Pro? Check around and see what other stores and the internet are offering in the same price range.
I disagree with you.
A shallow and not strenous dive can easily turn otherwise and than it's good to know your reg will not reach its limits.
And later down the road, I bet that most people will want to go somewhat "deeper" or upgrade. Is it really worth saving $50 and later losing more when you sell it and buy yourself a decent reg?
Nowdays not even dive operators(good ones :wink:)offer the lowest end regs as rentals.
Oren

Back
Top Bottom