Good Eats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be all over the cancun area and will be staying on coxumel and in puerto aventuras with my cave instructor but I am looking for some good places to find authentic regional dishes (in fact what are their regional dishes) and I am looking to try octopus so if anyone has some pointers on where to get the good stuff please let me know. Thanks

When you staying in PA, your best shot will be to drive to Playa Del Carmen. I will give you two places where the locals eat. First, HC Monterrey, next the the PDC airstrip on Calle 1 and about Ave 20. Get the arrachera. Second, El Fogon, Ave 30 and Calle 6 (two blocks south of the Walmart). Everything I have had there has been very good, and a full meal and a couple of beers should leave you with change from $15. The owner of one of our LDS's just got back from PDC yesterday and called to thank me for the restaurant recommendations. Next week, diving at Media Luna for six days!

Ahh, El Fogon... They have another location a few blocks to the north as well. Look on the wall for my name!

1992946820_4a3b862edf.jpg

1992144491_074a03915b.jpg

1992948016_d6219bba99.jpg

Doug and Greg (and Luis the cave guide who took us to Dos Ojos courtesy of Jason of Fantaseadive in PDC)

When you staying in PA, your best shot will be to drive to Playa Del Carmen. I will give you two places where the locals eat. First, HC Monterrey, next the the PDC airstrip on Calle 1 and about Ave 20. Get the arrachera. Second, El Fogon, Ave 30 and Calle 6 (two blocks south of the Walmart).

HC has moved from what I understand. There is still a restaurant at the location you mentioned and the menu hasn't changed much but it's now called super carnes ch. The new location for HC is on CTM between 10th and 15th ave.

Both places you recommended are great! I'm hoping the new place is just as good because it's close the condo we rent.

You can also get a pretty up to date restaurant list from one of the posters on play.info

I will be all over the cancun area and will be staying on coxumel and in puerto aventuras with my cave instructor but I am looking for some good places to find authentic regional dishes (in fact what are their regional dishes) and I am looking to try octopus so if anyone has some pointers on where to get the good stuff please let me know. Thanks

Did you mean to say you will be in Cozumel? I am not being a wise guy, I just haven't heard of Coxumel. If you did mean Cozumel, I have several suggestions. Camillos and La Conchita for seafood. La Mission on Ave 30 for Yukatan dishes. There are three Mission restaurants on Coz, so insist on the one on Ave 30. There is a big difference in quality of food.

This is a link to a site with nice descriptions and pics of different local dishes.

Yucatecan & Mexican Specialty Dishes You'll Find in Cozumel

For me, I love mixed cerviche. Shrimp, squid, octopus, fish, onions, garlic, spices and lime. Served cold with crackers and a beer. This is something you should be able to find just about anywhere.

Hope this is helpful.

PH

I am kinda old school, and go with the original locations! The kitchen were the food is cooked has a memory that sometimes is just not quite the same at a different locale. Its great to see that both restaurants are now "chains" and I don't doubt that they will succeed. Let's just hope that they don't go the way El Oasis did. Those were some great shrimp tacos and you could not beat the price. From what I understand, the chef at El Oasis has landed at Pinche Gringo and has hit the ground running.

BTW, Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info is THE board for the coast

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom