Good diving magazine (online or in paper)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZapDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, I know this may be an endless disscusion, but I didn't found anything like this in the board, so here it goes..

Which Magazine, if any, would you consider a good diving magazine for a recreational diver? I've been reading Scuba Diving, And it has some nice articles, but recently I think that it's too much biased towards it's announcers.

So, what do you read?

I'm interested in online magazines, since I live in mexico and foreign magazines may not be available here and also in printed magazines (If i can find them, they're more confortable to read in the rest room :D)

:popcorn:

Last edited:
I also read (and really enjoy) Alert Diver which is DAN's publication, a lot of their articles (including archives) are available on-line at DAN Divers Alert Network

I like dive Training too. Their training articles are usually very basic, but sometimes I pick up a thing or two. The other articles tend to range (for me) from pretty interesting to "interesting but not really too related to dive training/actual diving", etc. PADI's (pro) Undersea Journal is quite informative.

Last edited:
I like Undercurrent. It gives unbiased reports on different dive ops, kind of like Consumer Guide. They are going strictly online so that may be what you are looking for. It is nothing flashy, no pictures or adds. Just reports on things about diving.

I'm not sure I'd say Undercurrent is "unbiased", but it has interesting info from time to time.

I would agree with Dive Training and Alert Diver (especially in its new format). Online I like Underwater Journal (The Underwater Journal - Scuba diving and undersea photography online).

Their rating of different dive ops seems reasonably objective to me. The fact that they take no money and no gratuities for their reports at least seems to me to portray a less subjective point of view.

If you intend to do (or are just interested) some traveling, especially to exotic locals, the on line version of Undercurrent is good.

I also like "Alert Diver" and "Dive Training"

I was a fan of "Scuba Diving" when it was published by Rodale but have not read it for some time.

At the risk of sounding bigoted, I tend to like the UK diving magazines much better than the US ones.

A typical US magazine (ie. one on the newstands in the airports) will tell me:
  • fly to this dive destination, it's great!
  • buy this dive equipment, it's great!
  • take this course, it's great!

A typical UK magazine (again, that I pick up on my way through Heathrow) will tell me:
  • review of diving deaths / serious incidents since last publication (maybe it is just me, but these always seem to involve rebreathers)
  • pretty top down review of equipment options for one facet of diving, with the particularly British habit on focusing on things that irritated the reviewer rather than pleased him/her
  • analysing recent changes in laws, regulations, diving standards
  • review of a couple of dive locations, usually one British (invariably a wreck) and one aboard (but usually off the beaten path)
  • one slightly weird feature (the Zombie sharks of Greenland being a particularly memorable one)

I guess the final proof is that the US magazines I buy usually get read and then left on the plane. The British ones get kept in my library for future use and reference.

You're reading it, right now........you do have a printer hooked up to some computer, don't you?......

Back
Top Bottom