Good diver watch brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casio is a bit behind the smart watch curve (which is what this is). The flat tire screen style is dated for the smart watch world. It’s amazing how competitive this market is.
In that price point you can get an Apple Watch or another Samsung/wearOS/android watch, or you could get a better fitness watch from Garmin, Fitbit, or Polar, or you could get a functional dive computer and a functional dive watch, but as separate units (which is what I did, Cressi Leonardo for $200, Casio dive watch for $42).

Well, actually it HAS! If you turn off the screen. I have Teric and with turning off the screen i has already been 45 days WITHOUT a charge and I still have 20% of battery left!

So charging it once in 1-1.5 months is not that bad for a watch, I think.

Do you mean that you turn it on to check the time and then turn it back off again each time?

I just wouldn't bother wearing it if I had to do that. At that point, it requires 2 hands to check the time and is arguably less convenient than just using one hand to pull out my phone.

I am used to wearing a Motorola smartwatch. It would last almost 2 full days on a charge, so its wireless charging stand goes next to my bed, right next to my wireless phone charger. Both things on on the charger every night and thereby have no trouble making it through the whole next day.

I tried wearing my Teric as a daily wear watch, just to see how it works and how I would like it. I kept the screen turned on, on Medium brightness, with the second hand on (which I think causes more battery usage). I took it off at night, but did not charge it. After about 2 days, it still had 50% charge left.

To me, the battery life on the Teric is perfectly adequate, either for usage as a daily wear watch (where I would put it on a charger every night anyway), or as a dive computer.

Where are the OLED dive watches, like the Apple Watch? We see OLED in high end computers but not watches. Anybody seen any?

The Shearwater Teric is an OLED display. I guess that doesn't qualify as a dive watch? It seems like a great dive watch, to me. It's watch sized and shaped and tells the time. It works just fine as a daily wear watch (if you're into bigger/bulkier watches - I prefer the thinnest/lightest watch I can get, if it's a daily wear watch). Just because it HAS dive computer functionality built into it, I don't see why you'd say it doesn't qualify as an "OLED dive watch".

Does the Garmin Descent qualify as a "dive watch"? It's not OLED. I'm just wondering where the line is to distinguish a "dive watch" from a "watch form factor dive computer".

The Shearwater Teric is an OLED display. I guess that doesn't qualify as a dive watch? It seems like a great dive watch, to me. It's watch sized and shaped and tells the time. It works just fine as a daily wear watch (if you're into bigger/bulkier watches - I prefer the thinnest/lightest watch I can get, if it's a daily wear watch). Just because it HAS dive computer functionality built into it, I don't see why you'd say it doesn't qualify as an "OLED dive watch".

Does the Garmin Descent qualify as a "dive watch"? It's not OLED. I'm just wondering where the line is to distinguish a "dive watch" from a "watch form factor dive computer".

I believe OP is looking for OLED style display watches that are NOT also dive PCs - just a moderately simple "dumb" watch.

Do you mean that you turn it on to check the time and then turn it back off again each time?

I just wouldn't bother wearing it if I had to do that. At that point, it requires 2 hands to check the time and is arguably less convenient than just using one hand to pull out my phone.

I am used to wearing a Motorola smartwatch. It would last almost 2 full days on a charge, so its wireless charging stand goes next to my bed, right next to my wireless phone charger. Both things on on the charger every night and thereby have no trouble making it through the whole next day.

I tried wearing my Teric as a daily wear watch, just to see how it works and how I would like it. I kept the screen turned on, on Medium brightness, with the second hand on (which I think causes more battery usage). I took it off at night, but did not charge it. After about 2 days, it still had 50% charge left.

To me, the battery life on the Teric is perfectly adequate, either for usage as a daily wear watch (where I would put it on a charger every night anyway), or as a dive computer.

Thanks for sharing this info Stuartv, good points. Clarification on my part.... I used “OLED” to represent high definition color display (HDCD) technology. Yes it appears the Teric and Descent watches appear to leading the way with HDCD! Promising look at the future!

I have Seiko Orange Monster and i use Zulu strap instead of original metal bracelet. Wear it daily and took it to every trip during last 5 years. No complains and love orange color

My dive buddy where's a Tag rated for 200m for diving and all around. He was p!ssed when he had to have it serviced and rust was inside of it.

"Rust"? Seems strange, considering they're made out of stainless steel. I guess like anything else, they're only as good as the o-ring in them.

"Rust"? Seems strange, considering they're made out of stainless steel. I guess like anything else, they're only as good as the o-ring in them.

It depends on the type of stainless as to how rust resistant it is. Also, I'm not sure if all of the innards are stainless, too. The casing and bracelet definitely are stainless.

It depends on the type of stainless as to how rust resistant it is. Also, I'm not sure if all of the innards are stainless, too. The casing and bracelet definitely are stainless.
Of course... As I said, if the o-rings isn't secure there's going to be problems. If what you say is accurate, then he should be taking it up with whoever serviced it last. The jeweler I use has a little chamber for testing them after service. He told me that that is a requirement to be an authorized Tag dealer (and Rolex as well).

My dive buddy where's a Tag rated for 200m for diving and all around. He was p!ssed when he had to have it serviced and rust was inside of it.

Like @Stoo I have a Tag for show, too. It was originally bought for me as a dive watch but I can say with absolute certainty that there's no way in Hell I'm diving with a $3200 watch! I don't usually wear a watch when I dive because my Cobalt II has the time on it but I have made a few dives with my everyday watch, a Citizen Skyhawk AT and it's been fine. I can certainly sympathize with your friend's sentiment of being p!ssed finding rust inside the case. You'd expect better from such a high-end time piece. My Formula 1 Calibre 16 has actually been replaced because it stopped winding. The manager at Jared not only had it replaced but also gave me a new 3-yr warranty on it. Good stuff.

CAZ2012-BA0970.png

Like @Stoo I have a Tag for show, too. It was originally bought for me as a dive watch but I can say with absolute certainty that there's no way in Hell I'm diving with a $3200 watch! I don't usually wear a watch when I dive because my Cobalt II has the time on it but I have made a few dives with my everyday watch, a Citizen Skyhawk AT and it's been fine. I can certainly sympathize with your friend's sentiment of being p!ssed finding rust inside the case. You'd expect better from such a high-end time piece. My Formula 1 Calibre 16 has actually been replaced because it stopped winding. The manager at Jared not only had it replaced but also gave me a new 3-yr warranty on it. Good stuff.

caz2012-ba0970-png.486898.png
Um, the above is not a dive watch. It is a chronograph.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom