Good Dive Sites in Perhentian, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's Perhentian Besar premier resort that you can consider.

http://www.jaring.my/perhentian/facilities.html

Coz most of the accomodation at Perhentian Besar are catered for backpackers and low-med budget traveller. I havent been diving in Redang but i think the dive sites are quite a journey from the Island.Compare to Perhentian, the dive sites are minutes away.But the resorts in Redang are mostly 3 star to 5 star. And more facilities.

I was staying at Abdul's chalet last time (Perhentian Besar), quite a quiet part of the beach.Very cheap cost at USD16 per night. Not much facilities i.e. no hot shower (i dont need hot shower cos the environment is already hot) and the chalet is very basic.nevertheless we are adults traveller. So i strongly recommend this Perhentian Island Resort.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Thanks :) ... we'll be just missing ya... think we will be there around the 11th .. want to do our AOW ... probably with flora bay ... have a super time and thanks for the link.

here's another website http://perhentian.com.my/

went there once with my kids - they're 7 and 9, pretty boisterous as well. we stayed at Coral View Island Resort - pricier by local standards but very nice chalet. restaurant has decent food, though service is a bit slow. clean room, nice ambiance.

there's a dve shop next to CVIR - my initial contact with them was lackluster (but then that's my experience, you might do better) - i.e. i was expecting an enthusiastic DM, not one who behaved as if i'm wasting her time. i didn't dive with them. and the next day, i fell and injured myself. bummer. anyways, smorkeling is pretty nice as well.

i'll post pics on the photo site on in my profile.

cybertia:
Hi,

we are going to perhentian islands in early july to dive for about 3-4 days... we are bringing our kids 14 and 12 yrs old ... 14 yr old dives ...12 yr old may do discover scuba. I would love some advice on lodging and dive operators ... thanks a bunch

Hi Cybertia,

Perhentian Island Besar has a few beaches and quite a number of resorts. If you are going there, I would recommend Coral View Island Resort, on the north side of the island (Besar). It is a quiet and nice resort, has a decent restaurant, and steps away from probably the nicest beach at Perhentian Island (right in front of Perhentian Island resort). The house reef is quite nice and offers good swimming and snorkeling just right in front of the resort (A couple of resident turtles can be found there). If you are staying at Coral View and getting tire of their food, don't forget to venture down south (minutes away along the beach) to Paradise and Mama's place for some of the best/cheap seafood BBQ dinner on the island at their beach side restaurants!

Floray Bay is on the south side of the island. It has one of the best dive operator on the island. However if you are staying with Flora Bay (located at Teluk Dalam) be aware that the beach is too shallow for swimming and does not offer much snorkeling, unless you swim quite a distance away from the beach. The beach is nice and quiet though. I have stayed at both places and still prefer Coral View.

Most people who visited Perhentian are not awared that there is also good jungle trekking as well on the island. From behind Perhentian Island Resort (next to Coral View) you can trek south for about 30 to 45 minutes to Teluk Dalam, where Flora Bay and couple of other budget accommodations are. From Teluk Dalam trek west for about 20 minutes to ABC beach, the main beach opposite the village across at the small island, which has some budget accommodations as well. Go north along the beach and another short trek leads you back to Mama's Place, Paradise and lastly Coral View. It is a nice leisurely half-day of trekking that let you explore most of the beaches at the Island Besar.

Most of the accommodations on the Perhentian Kecil (small island) are at the very nice Long Beach, on the east of the island. I have never stayed there before but have visited the beach a couple of times. My impression is that small island has more budget accommodations catering to backpackers. There are also 2 more small beaches, at south and west of the small island respectively. A small fishing village can be found on the east side (facing Perhentian Besar) of the island. I have never been there so can't comment of them. D'lagoon at the northeast end of the island is a quiet little beach with a simple accommodation, but has maybe the best beach snorkeling spot on the island.

Perhentian Islands are my favorites among the east coast islands off Pennisula Malaysia. IMO all the beaches are beautiful and you would not go wrong with almost any of the beaches/resorts. It is maybe down to personal preference.

It is easy to travel between the islands/beaches as water taxis are readily available. The islands are only about 5 to 20 minutes apart depends on where you are heading. You can always check out and move to other beaches/accommodation after you are at the island. Pre-booking is advised as the island can get crowded during holiday seasons.

Regarding dive shops. My experience with Pro Diver's World (Coral View), Watercolor (Paradise) and Flora Bay (Flora Bay) had been very pleasant and wonderful. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

A bit long winded. Have fun...

Thanks a bunch for the info, I think we will end up staying there and diving with flora bay.

lanun:
here's another website http://perhentian.com.my/

went there once with my kids - they're 7 and 9, pretty boisterous as well. we stayed at Coral View Island Resort - pricier by local standards but very nice chalet. restaurant has decent food, though service is a bit slow. clean room, nice ambiance.

there's a dve shop next to CVIR - my initial contact with them was lackluster (but then that's my experience, you might do better) - i.e. i was expecting an enthusiastic DM, not one who behaved as if i'm wasting her time. i didn't dive with them. and the next day, i fell and injured myself. bummer. anyways, smorkeling is pretty nice as well.

i'll post pics on the photo site on in my profile.

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice and informative reply. We will definitely be jungle treking :) thanks for the info! Well, we are all very excited and are now just trying to find a good travel agent ... if anyone out there has any info feel free to share .. we are leaving from NYC

thanks again for the wonderful summary!

Best regards, cybertia

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice and informative reply. We will definitely be jungle treking :) thanks for the info! Well, we are all very excited and are now just trying to find a good travel agent ... if anyone out there has any info feel free to share .. we are leaving from NYC

thanks again for the wonderful summary!

Best regards, cybertia
YCW:
Hi Cybertia,

Perhentian Island Besar has a few beaches and quite a number of resorts. If you are going there, I would recommend Coral View Island Resort, on the north side of the island (Besar). It is a quiet and nice resort, has a decent restaurant, and steps away from probably the nicest beach at Perhentian Island (right in front of Perhentian Island resort). The house reef is quite nice and offers good swimming and snorkeling just right in front of the resort (A couple of resident turtles can be found there). If you are staying at Coral View and getting tire of their food, don't forget to venture down south (minutes away along the beach) to Paradise and Mama's place for some of the best/cheap seafood BBQ dinner on the island at their beach side restaurants!

Floray Bay is on the south side of the island. It has one of the best dive operator on the island. However if you are staying with Flora Bay (located at Teluk Dalam) be aware that the beach is too shallow for swimming and does not offer much snorkeling, unless you swim quite a distance away from the beach. The beach is nice and quiet though. I have stayed at both places and still prefer Coral View.

Most people who visited Perhentian are not awared that there is also good jungle trekking as well on the island. From behind Perhentian Island Resort (next to Coral View) you can trek south for about 30 to 45 minutes to Teluk Dalam, where Flora Bay and couple of other budget accommodations are. From Teluk Dalam trek west for about 20 minutes to ABC beach, the main beach opposite the village across at the small island, which has some budget accommodations as well. Go north along the beach and another short trek leads you back to Mama's Place, Paradise and lastly Coral View. It is a nice leisurely half-day of trekking that let you explore most of the beaches at the Island Besar.

Most of the accommodations on the Perhentian Kecil (small island) are at the very nice Long Beach, on the east of the island. I have never stayed there before but have visited the beach a couple of times. My impression is that small island has more budget accommodations catering to backpackers. There are also 2 more small beaches, at south and west of the small island respectively. A small fishing village can be found on the east side (facing Perhentian Besar) of the island. I have never been there so can't comment of them. D'lagoon at the northeast end of the island is a quiet little beach with a simple accommodation, but has maybe the best beach snorkeling spot on the island.

Perhentian Islands are my favorites among the east coast islands off Pennisula Malaysia. IMO all the beaches are beautiful and you would not go wrong with almost any of the beaches/resorts. It is maybe down to personal preference.

It is easy to travel between the islands/beaches as water taxis are readily available. The islands are only about 5 to 20 minutes apart depends on where you are heading. You can always check out and move to other beaches/accommodation after you are at the island. Pre-booking is advised as the island can get crowded during holiday seasons.

Regarding dive shops. My experience with Pro Diver's World (Coral View), Watercolor (Paradise) and Flora Bay (Flora Bay) had been very pleasant and wonderful. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

A bit long winded. Have fun...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom