Good dive light recommended

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to the proper forum.

Respondents, this forum has different rules from the one it was moved from. Please follow those rules from here on out. Thanks.

Stuff like this makes me wish I had the funds for a canister light for UWLD (too many competing expenses, like a rebreather). I'm not complaining about the price. It costs to make a quality light. One day.....
You will find the price is pretty reasonable at the same quality of the dive flashlight. lol

I hesitantly purchased a Wurkkos last night and after reading this thread today, I find myself in paroxysm of amplified hesitance to keep the light.
I am hesitant because of, for lack of better words, the Company's "life-hack" approach. Makes me wonder if said employee would accept this happening to him/her in their personal life?
I needed a reasonable and compact back-up light spare light in case my usual light broke or I lose the charger or something happens to it. A lesson learned from when my usual dive light's charger stopped working and I was left without a dive light.
While I see the value in big-name brands, I do not mind testing new and emerging brands.
Especially since it would cost me nothing to pack it back up and ask for a refund.
Sometimes they turn out to be pretty good. I find most times that these brands have the quality but not longevity. Can usually tell longevity but build quality and performance in the first few tries.

But considering commentary I am likely to return it.

I hesitantly purchased a Wurkkos last night and after reading this thread today, I find myself in paroxysm of amplified hesitance to keep the light.
I am hesitant because of, for lack of better words, the Company's "life-hack" approach. Makes me wonder if said employee would accept this happening to him/her in their personal life?
I needed a reasonable and compact back-up light. While I see the value in big-name brands, I do not mind testing new and emerging brands.
Especially since it would cost me nothing to pack it back up and ask for a refund.
Sometimes they turn out to be pretty good. I find most times that these brands have the quality but not longevity. Can usually tell longevity but build quality and performance in the first few tries.

But considering commentary I am likely to return it.
Backup lights... Better off with something with a screw-on switch such that there's no current drain. Also avoid rechargable as these batteries self-discharge after a while.

Backups sit for years on your harness and seldom, if ever, get used. Long-term reliability is paramount.

Cheapo far-eastern mega-lumen crap should be avioided. They frequently fail and even dissolve in seawater as they're often made of cheap alloys with sub-standard anodising. For one to last a season would be unusual.

You generally get what you pay for.

Backup lights... Better off with something with a screw-on switch such that there's no current drain. Also avoid rechargable as these batteries self-discharge after a while.

Backups sit for years on your harness and seldom, if ever, get used. Long-term reliability is paramount.

Cheapo far-eastern mega-lumen crap should be avioided. They frequently fail and even dissolve in seawater as they're often made of cheap alloys with sub-standard anodising. For one to last a season would be unusual.

You generally get what you pay for.

Sorry. Should have clarified. Not a back-up I would take during a dive. A back up in case my usual light malfunctions. So I'd have something to take with me on a dive.

Back on topic.
The light may be top notch but I am really hesitant to keep it considering the Company's (poor) ethos.

Back
Top Bottom