【New Products】XTAR D30 1600 & D30 4000 Dive Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How can the D30 4000 be mounted to a camera?

On my last couple of night dives, while shooting photos, I realized a few things:

- even a 120 degree beam 1000 lumen video light is too bright, when used as a focus light. I think it was bright enough to scare some critters off before I ever saw them. And with it right on top of the camera, when I would try to put the camera close to a subject to get a good photo, it was bright enough to run them off, too.

- having a red beam option would probably be my main choice for night dives in the future. At least, as a focus light, mounted on my camera rig.

- having blue and UV options would also be cool sometimes. They do make something fluoresce and look pretty cool.

So, this D30 looks like it might be just the ticket. I think I'd rather go with the 4000, because of the tail switch making it easier to switch between the different colored beams. But, if it doesn't have a threaded hole on the bottom, or a clamp of some kind, that would allow me to mount it solidly on my camera rig, then it's out. I know the D30 1600 has a thread hole on the bottom that I can mount a standard 1" ball to and then mount that on my camera rig.

The white light on the 1600 version can be dropped down to 400 lumens. If the 4000 could do that, then it would be an easy choice to buy the 4000. But, since the lowest setting for white light on the 4000 is still 1000 lumens, well, see my first point. That is often just too bright on a night dive.

On my last couple of night dives, while shooting photos, I realized a few things:

- even a 120 degree beam 1000 lumen video light is too bright, when used as a focus light. I think it was bright enough to scare some critters off before I ever saw them. And with it right on top of the camera, when I would try to put the camera close to a subject to get a good photo, it was bright enough to run them off, too.

- having a red beam option would probably be my main choice for night dives in the future. At least, as a focus light, mounted on my camera rig.

- having blue and UV options would also be cool sometimes. They do make something fluoresce and look pretty cool.

So, this D30 looks like it might be just the ticket. I think I'd rather go with the 4000, because of the tail switch making it easier to switch between the different colored beams. But, if it doesn't have a threaded hole on the bottom, or a clamp of some kind, that would allow me to mount it solidly on my camera rig, then it's out. I know the D30 1600 has a thread hole on the bottom that I can mount a standard 1" ball to and then mount that on my camera rig.

The white light on the 1600 version can be dropped down to 400 lumens. If the 4000 could do that, then it would be an easy choice to buy the 4000. But, since the lowest setting for white light on the 4000 is still 1000 lumens, well, see my first point. That is often just too bright on a night dive.

Thanks for your kind sharing! And D30 4000 can be mounted to a camera. There is threaded hole as the photos show below. And if you are interested in D30 4000, there is the product link:
US $197.99 30% OFF|XTAR D30 4000 Diving Flashlight|LED Flashlights| - AliExpress

D30 4000 p1.jpg

Attachments

• D30 4000 p2.jpg
    D30 4000 p2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 102
Hi there, the beam angle of the D30 4000 is 100°. And yes, it's the best light we sell for video lighting and uw photography.
Why don't you list the beam angle on the D30 4000? What is the beam angle on the D30 4000?
Is the D30 4000 the best light you sell for video lighting?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom