Good deal? Scubapro MK16

my question is, is this a good deal or will these be told old / not preform well at that temp.

• yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

I am just starting into the world of doubles and as most have a budget in mind. I have the chance to purchase:]

2 X DIN Mk 16 Scubapro first stages an OMS SPG, G250 on a necklace and a G500 on a 7 foot hose and 2 inflator hoses. Brass bolt snap on the 7 foot hose and spg for just over $400.00 CAD

I may do 1 or 2 ice dives a year if these work for that if not the coldest would be 43 F for temp. I know they are not environmentally sealed but they preform well. they will also need to be serviced as they have not been dove in awhile.

my question is, is this a good deal or will these be told old / not preform well at that temp.

Thank you

It's a good deal, and the MK17s are my preferred 1st stages for cold water diveing. The G250 has always been SP's top of the line 2nd stage for technical diving and breathes great! The G500 is not as easy to set up right as the G250 is, but is also a fine 2nd stage. I'd buy the pair, and then start looking out for a used G250/G250 to eventually replace the G500 2nd stage 4 or 5 years down the road.

Michael

Sorry, I misread you question regarding MK16s and answered with my experience regarding MK17s, which I have 11 of.
The Mk16 is also a membrane regulator, with a good reputation, moderate service costs that, If you're cheap really don't have to be done every year. I'd do them every couple of or 5 years, as long as the sintered filter doesn't look totally salted out. Performance in coldwater is as good as the MK17s.

Michael

It is an unsealed diaphragm. so it is not an equal to the MK-17 for cold/dirty water...

It is an unsealed diaphragm. so it is not an equal to the MK-17 for cold/dirty water...
Difference is the ambient chamber is exposed. They are both diaphragm regs.

How would keeping water out of the ambient chamber affect things?

adiabatic cooling is still an issue. it is however better addressed on this regulator by having a much more open chamber, allowing for wash-out of cooled fluid. sealed is still a much better option.

The price is fair. I didn't vote because it would not be my first, second or third choice for tech, but the price is fair. For cold water a sealed first stage is preferable when it comes to diaphragm regs.

Back
Top Bottom